ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to "paint in" the background? (Edited)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Shank
How to "paint in" the background? (Edited)
on Jul 17, 2015 at 6:02:25 pm
Last Edited By Jon Shank on Jul 17, 2015 at 7:23:11 pm

In this video:

at 8 minutes and 45s

he says that the fruit is hanging on a string but that he hand animated it down and painted in the background.

How did the sword connect with the fruit if he animated it down from it's original position in the video?

(Or did he really just animate it upwards a few frames before the sword hit so that when played back the fruit returned to its original position?)

Also, how do you "paint in" the background like he says?

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
Re: How to "paint in" the background?
on Jul 17, 2015 at 6:38:16 pm

[Jon Shank] "How did the sword connect with the fruit if he animated it down from it's original position in the video?"

He lined the animation up with the plate so that the fruit would split apart on the correct frame, then he masked the sword out so that it appeared to slice through the fruit.

[Jon Shank] "Also, how do you "paint in" the background like he says?"

Are you talking about when he painted the string out? There are different ways to paint objects out of a scene, I don't know what his method was, but one of the easiest is to use the wire removal tool in AE. If you want to go further than that, there are a lot of good tutorials on the subject.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Jon Shank
on Jul 17, 2015 at 7:05:46 pm
Last Edited By Jon Shank on Jul 17, 2015 at 7:21:54 pm

Sorry, I should have clarified.

The fruit is not CG it is real. It is hanging on a string. The sword hit is real so he doesn't need to paint the sword out to make it look like it hits. It actually does slice the fruit in half.

So how would he paint in the background behind the orange? I know of the wire removal tool but I'm not sure how to do it to something the size and shape of an orange.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jul 17, 2015 at 8:54:36 pm

[Jon Shank] "Sorry, I should have clarified.

The fruit is not CG it is real. It is hanging on a string. The sword hit is real so he doesn't need to paint the sword out to make it look like it hits. It actually does slice the fruit in half.

So how would he paint in the background behind the orange? I know of the wire removal tool but I'm not sure how to do it to something the size and shape of an orange."

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about the last two oranges which are CG. I don't think he painted in the background behind the orange, I think he was talking about the string. Like I said, there are different ways to remove objects from a scene; you can clone in bits from a different layer (like a clean plate), you can create track mattes, you can manually rotoscope an object and place a tracked layer underneath it, etc. You can also use a dedicated tool like Mocha or Silhouette. Just remember, you're really trying to do two things... isolate your object(s), and create a clean background that you can composite that object on top of. There are lots of different ways to go about doing those things, just do a youtube search.

Shawn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]