ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Combining Passes from a VRay example

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel HartlehnertCombining Passes from a VRay example
by on Jul 16, 2015 at 2:11:39 pm

Hi guys,

i am really at a loss here and i hope maybe someone can explain what is going on here.
Please take a look at http://www.cgdigest.com/vray-render-elements/
The post there is already pretty old, but the download link provided there for the .psd file still works.
I tried to replicate the combination of passes in AE, but it only works if i do NOT set my working space to "linearize". I would have expected whenever i am combining passes, i need to do this in linear color space.
The shown example works only when not linearizing, apart from some minor differences in the shadow areas. It works fine in Photoshop obviously as one can see from the .psd file.
I am sorry if this is maybe more of a Photoshop question, but i would really like to know whats going on with these passes. Maybe someone has an idea.

Thanks.

btw: it makes no difference for me when i check or uncheck "blend colors using gamma 1.0" in Photoshop. This .psd file always works. ??

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Combining Passes from a VRay example
by on Jul 16, 2015 at 2:49:12 pm

If your AE project is NOT IN 32-bit, give it a shot to see if it helps.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel HartlehnertRe: Combining Passes from a VRay example
by on Jul 16, 2015 at 3:05:21 pm

It doesn't matter what bit depth i set my AE project. The issue is always the same.

Return to posts index

Shawn MillerRe: Combining Passes from a VRay example
by on Jul 16, 2015 at 11:21:33 pm

Hey Daniel, if you want to work in linear, you have to output to a color space that your monitor understands. To do this, create an adjustment layer, move it to the top of the layer stack and apply the Color Profile Converter effect. On the Output Profile, select the working space that you intend to output to (sRGB, rec 709, etc.). If it looks too bright or washed out, select the Linearize Output Profile checkbox.

Thanks,

Shawn

Return to posts index

by on Jul 17, 2015 at 6:45:37 am

Hi Shawn,

isn't that already taken care of by activating "Use Display Color Management" in the viewer window?

Return to posts index

Shawn MillerRe: Combining Passes from a VRay example
by on Jul 17, 2015 at 6:01:51 pm

[Daniel Hartlehnert] "Hi Shawn,

isn't that already taken care of by activating "Use Display Color Management" in the viewer window?"

Yes... but I usually prefer to convert linear to sRGB or rec 709 with that plugin, or a lookup table. Results just seem more of what I expect when using those methods, especially on an external monitor. Did you try the Color Profile Converter?

Shawn

Return to posts index

by on Jul 18, 2015 at 10:54:36 am

I honestly don't think its a display problem. I have worked with other footage in linear combining passes, no problem. It must be something with those specific files.
Anyway, i just tried your suggestion. It looks exactly the same as using the Viewer built-in lookup.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Combining Passes from a VRay example
by on Jul 21, 2015 at 5:10:17 am

The PSD file provided on that page is not using a linear profile. As you've already discovered, if you want your AE results to match PSD then you need to not linearize your profile.

It looks to me like whoever produced those render elements was not rendering them for a linear workflow. They were not intended to be used in a linear workflow. As a result they, erm, won't work in a linear workflow.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2015 at 6:08:31 am

Thanks alot Darby for taking a look. So its like i suspected. Maybe the textures were not linearized and/or some other setting in the 3d app was not correct.
But its good to have a confirmation by someone else!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]