ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects with 12gb ram?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ivan BratislavovAfter Effects with 12gb ram?
by on Jul 14, 2015 at 6:03:17 pm

Hello, Guys!

I'm traveling more often recently and, having work to be done on Premiere and After Effects, I find myself putting my desktop computer with monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers on my car and basically carrying it like a laptop which is an INCREDIBLE inconvenience...

That being said I really want to buy a laptop but haven't done it so far because laptops with good specs were way too fat and ugly. I'm on Windows so I won't go for Mac but ASUS ux501 caught my attention as I want a slim laptop with good design and specs.

The one I saw was - 4k touch display, i7-4720HQ, 128 ssd + 1tb hdd; GTX 960M (4GB GDDR5); 12gb ram (1x8 + 1x4). So - looks good on paper. Yes, I'm aware there will be some throttling on heavier render, etc but still..

The thing that bothers me most is the RAM... I mean, I'm currently running 32gb ram on my desktop and this is only 12gb RAM. The system should support up to 16gb but not sure if it's upgradeable from 12 to 16.

So, how would After Effects be with 12gb of ram (given that 3-4 might be taken from windows and other apps which leaves AE with 8-9...)? I don't usually work with very heavy projects but still... this is the thing that really bothers me as I'll need to be able to rely on the laptop.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved