ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

'Super-Tight Junk Matte', or....

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Brame
'Super-Tight Junk Matte', or....
on Jul 13, 2015 at 11:10:46 pm

For troubled greens screens, I've always relied on Aharon's 'Super Tight Junk Mattes' tutorial here on the COW. However, I ran across this similar, but much faster technique. Can anyone think of why it wouldn't perform as well as Aharon's method?

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
Re: 'Super-Tight Junk Matte', or....
on Jul 13, 2015 at 11:23:15 pm

Sorry, apparently YouTube links to start a video at a specific point aren't supported. Jump to the 9 minute mark.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
Steve Brame

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jul 14, 2015 at 8:30:14 pm

it's pretty much the same. they both use the same principle - create a matte closely surrounding the subject. aharon's uses auto-traced masks and this one uses color key (or several color keys).

I remember the foundry had a tutorial that used 2 instances of key light... but the first instance may have been for an inside mask rather than outside mask... (to long ago)

one advantage of aharon's is after the auto-trace, masks render very quickly as you work with the footage, though i'm not sure that you'd recover the initial auto-trace processing time over the remainder of the project.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Marvin Mack
on Aug 16, 2015 at 10:47:23 pm

hello,
for some reason my Auto trace masks are not following the subject. Iv tried various methods the get a torn edge effect on an outer stroke with a rough edge effect and Auto trace is the only method i found that comes close to working. for some reason it is not working the way its suppose to, it matches my subject for about 10 frame and then stops.

here is an example:
a href='https://images.creativecow.net/300387/screenshot2015-08-16at6.37.37pm.png'>

can any one help.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jul 15, 2015 at 10:28:55 am

This method is faster and does the job.

- Roland

TypeGEMs - the Definitive Type Gizmo for AE
http://broadcastgems.com/typegems/

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations
Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

http://www.broadcastgems.com/mographintensity_shapestext/

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Jul 15, 2015 at 3:00:43 pm

Certainly going to add this approach to my toolbox. It may work better than another approach, depending on what you shoot.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Aug 10, 2015 at 10:57:57 am

I guess my question is now irrelevant since in AE2015 they've eliminated 'Color Key".

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Aug 10, 2015 at 12:27:25 pm

You may use two instances of Keylight with the first one used to generate a tight matte. You'll want to hold down the CTRL key when sampling the backing color to sample a wider range of pixels (5x5) instead of a single pixel. This gives the keyer more colors to work with.

HTH
- Roland Kahlenberg

TypeGEMs - the Definitive Type Gizmo for AE
http://broadcastgems.com/typegems/

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations
Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

http://www.broadcastgems.com/mographintensity_shapestext/

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Aug 17, 2015 at 12:15:16 pm

Hi,
I think "Color Key" is still there. They have moved it to the "Obsolete" folder in the later AE CC releases but it worked last time I tried to use it.

I suppose putting it in the obsolete folder is a sign of future intentions but think it s still there for now.

mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]