ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Re: Any tips on how to animate this?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max HamworthRe: Any tips on how to animate this?
by on Jul 11, 2015 at 9:31:55 am
Last Edited By Max Hamworth on Jul 12, 2015 at 10:25:16 am

Any ideas on how to animate these helixes? number 3, 4, 5 and 6? would it be possible to create an infinite loop from these?
(see image --> https://goo.gl/157zvJ click link download through browser). Couldn't upload the image here, it posted it outside the forum topic! :/

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Any tips on how to animate this?
by on Jul 12, 2015 at 9:29:51 am

The link you included requires a program to be installed to download.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 12, 2015 at 9:34:22 am
Last Edited By Max Hamworth on Jul 12, 2015 at 10:23:21 am

Kalle there's a link: download through your browser please. Thanks

Return to posts index

by on Jul 12, 2015 at 1:26:28 pm

Hi Max,

Ok, got it now.

Seems pretty difficult a task. Do you know how the helixes have been generated?

Return to posts index

by on Jul 12, 2015 at 2:12:32 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Jul 12, 2015 at 2:16:10 pm

I have hard time envisioning how they would move. 3, 4 and 6 almost look like different stages of the same helixoid.

On close inspection you can see that they have been drawn with one line that has a beginning and an end.

Which gives me an idea for one option of how to animate it: Draw one complete helix shape as a mask and then use generate>stroke to draw it, animating the beginning and end values. To make it seamless, you will have to use two strokes, as you can only go from 0 to 100% on the completeness of the stroke.

AE project to demonstrate the idea at below link.

9042_helixdraw.aep.zip

I drew just one loop, but you get the idea.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 12, 2015 at 3:37:34 pm
Last Edited By Max Hamworth on Jul 12, 2015 at 3:48:53 pm

Great insight Kalle, it also shined some light on 3/4/6..
by masking the edges out. I can animate them as an infinite elevator. (At least, thats the plan) :) Will keep u posted.

Thank you!

PS. the original artwork was generated with code, in Processing.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 12, 2015 at 5:16:12 pm

I suspected it was created programmatically. Likely it be easiest to do the animation the same way, moving the origin point up by a small amount for each frame.

I actually tested a "sliding" piece, but it didn't look very good in my view, as it got cut off at the top and bottom in an unattractive fashion.

Not really that difficult to draw those shapes if you're well versed in Illustrator.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 12, 2015 at 6:12:11 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Jul 12, 2015 at 6:13:01 pm

It almost worked :)

The problem was I didn't draw it as one continuous shape, but as a sequence of separate shapes.

9043_helixoid0.aep.zip

Return to posts index

by on Jul 12, 2015 at 8:18:40 pm
Last Edited By Max Hamworth on Jul 12, 2015 at 8:19:25 pm

Whoa, this is great! Im looking at it and I have no idea how you managed those lines.
Care to explain? :/

PS. I only got an artwork to work with, and i've got just a little bit knowledge with code.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 13, 2015 at 7:10:02 am
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Jul 13, 2015 at 7:30:34 am

I drew the lines in Illustrator. I only had to draw four (closed) shapes based on your reference (those shapes that go to the corners and the ones that are centered between them) then blend between them with the blend tool. I expanded the blends (which makes them actual paths) and then copied and pasted the lot as masks on a solid in AE.

In AE, the stroke effect can draw all masks, but it needed some expressions for the moving beginning and end points of the stroke. They are drawn in two sections that are 1/4 of the full length of the path. The expressions move the beginning and end points in relation to time so that it circles around. The final trick was that I needed to draw the paths in four pieces to account for the crossover point at 0/100%.

The result would be improved if the shape was drawn with one continuous line, not as separate shapes.

If you like the basic look, it can be applied to any path using the same setup with strokes, slider and expressions, it is mostly a matter of how to draw the shapes you want (with one continuous line preferably). The expression for the slider controls the speed at which the line travels. You'll note that one beginning value and one end value for a stroke don't need an expression, as they are always either 0 or 100 respectively.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 13, 2015 at 11:08:01 am
Last Edited By Max Hamworth on Jul 13, 2015 at 11:08:29 am

Thank you Kalle! This is very useful and helpful!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]