Only 3/4 of After Effects Video Getting Encoded
on Jul 9, 2015 at 8:46:53 am

Before I begin, here are my specs:

Windows 7 64-bit
After Effects CS6/CC
Media Encoder CC
4 GB RAM

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to encode an 8.5 minute after effects video as a .wmv file using media encoder. The after effects file was originally created in CS6. For the purpose of encoding, I downloaded trials of AE CC and ME CC, then opened the file in AE CC whereupon it was converted. I added the file to ME Render Queue and set it up for encoding to .wmv. Two times I did this and the results were that only 5 min 35 sec of the video had been rendered. Here's how I had the encoding set up:

-Both EXPORT VIDEO and EXPORT AUDIO boxes checked
-OUTPUT and SOURCE specs EXACTLY the same (same frame rate, resolution, etc.)
-Windows Media Video 9
-VBR, 2 pass constrained @ 2,500 kbps avg. bitrate and 5,000 kbps peak video bitrate
-Peak video buffer size set to 5
-Decoder complexity set to Auto
-Keyframe interval set to 5 seconds
-Buffer size checked and set to 1 second

On both occasions, the file size was estimated at 177 MB, but wound up being ~90 MB. Both encodings took ~14 hours and I was monitoring them closely. The first pass analyzed the entire file based on what I could see in the preview. The loading bar was at the middle by that point. The second pass seemed to encode the entire file as well, yet the end result both times was a video missing its last 3 minutes.

Might anyone have any idea what the problem is and how I can fix it?

Thanks!

-Matt

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Only 3/4 of After Effects Video Getting Encoded
on Jul 9, 2015 at 2:47:33 pm

Does your work area in AE cover the entire composition? If not...there's the problem.

If that's not it, try rendering an intermediate file (such as QuickTime with the Photo-JPEG codec) out of AE and then use that in the Media Encoder to make your final file.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Matt Turner
on Jul 9, 2015 at 3:41:04 pm

Thanks for responding, Michael. I'll check again about the work area. Regarding rendering an intermediate file in the formats you suggest, won't that result in lower quality video than encoding directly from the composition/a master file?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 9, 2015 at 4:11:27 pm

[Matt Turner] "Regarding rendering an intermediate file in the formats you suggest, won't that result in lower quality video than encoding directly from the composition/a master file?"

Not if you use a proper codec. This has been the normal workflow for years before you could bring AE projects into the Media Encoder.

Technically, the Photo-JPEG codec is a bit lossy, but barely. It's visually lossless.
If you want a truly lossless codec with absolutely no change whatsoever, make a QuickTime with the PNG codec. It is technically lossless, not just visually lossless.

Often, rendering out of AE then using AME to make the deliverable can actually be faster than using your comp in the AME - depending on computer specs, comp contents, render settings, etc.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]