ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CC( 2014) not using all my RAM and is sluggish

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryce Penney
AE CC( 2014) not using all my RAM and is sluggish
on Jul 7, 2015 at 9:25:34 pm

Help!

Im running After Effects 2014 (13.2) on my MAC. Not only are rendering and previews sluggish, but the overall performance (moving cams, layers, lights etc.) seems excruciatingly slow.
for example
I have 19 layers most are solids or AI objects I made into 3D. 5 lights. Camera.
With this much memory why is it bogging?
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: AE CC( 2014) not using all my RAM and is sluggish
on Jul 7, 2015 at 9:56:52 pm

Are you using depth of field in the camera, or casting lots of shadows? What about motion blur? These are all things you can turn off while you work.

Alternately, is your comp set to use the Classic 3D render or the ray-tracing renderer?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Bryce Penney
on Jul 7, 2015 at 10:47:12 pm

I'm set to classic 3D render. I have shadows and depth. Im set to fast draft at quarter res.
my activity monitor says I'm only using about 6GB of my 40 overall. I guess I don't understand why AE won't employ more to provide me with a faster preview. Maybe it can't?
Thanks, Walter.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 7, 2015 at 11:10:23 pm

Some effects can only use 1 processor core. And if that effect is part of an effect stack on the layer, ALL the effects use just one processor core.

So depending on what you're doing, you may just have to grin & bear it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 8, 2015 at 6:00:12 am

[Bryce Penney] "I'm set to classic 3D render. I have shadows and depth. Im set to fast draft at quarter res. my activity monitor says I'm only using about 6GB of my 40 overall. I guess I don't understand why AE won't employ more to provide me with a faster preview. Maybe it can't? Thanks, Walter."

Can you describe a bit about what you're doing in the project? How long is it, what effects are you using, etc.? Maybe show a screenshot or clip?

I've described multiprocessing here on many occasions -- a quick search here on "multiprocessing" should give you a good baseline understanding of how it works. You might get better performance dedicating fewer cores with a higher RAM allocation.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Bryce Penney
on Jul 8, 2015 at 8:31:20 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look over the posts on multiprocessing.I'll have to look in to seeing how I assign processors. I just assumed that even though it's an older machine it has 8 Cores and 40 GB of ram it would be handling this fairly easily.

It's an animation comp. Nothing really fancy, just some solids built into a 3d room with some static AI cutouts as characters. Its got a diorama type look.
The effects are really limited to just the lights the whole thing is 20sec long. Any kind of movement is just the camera moving.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 8, 2015 at 5:06:33 pm

AE will use as much RAM as it needs up to the amount it's been allotted. So, if you've got plenty of RAM available to AE and it's not using it, the bottleneck is somewhere else.

When you're rendering, are all of your processors working full-tilt? If so, you might consider leaving fewer processors for the system so AE can have more.

If not, the bottleneck is somewhere else. As Dave says, there are a lot of things that break multiprocessing. Even some expressions can drag you down to single core processing!

This is a big part of the reason why the AE team is working on a rewrite of the core of AE. They're getting rid of that old and busted multiprocessing and replacing it with something more modern.

In the meantime, keep troubleshooting with us and we can try to figure out if we can speed you up.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Bryce Penney
on Jul 8, 2015 at 8:36:13 pm

Thanks Michael,
I guess thats my real problem, is that when I render, I can't get my processors to work at full tilt. I've assigned 30GB of the 40GB or RAM to AE but It says its only using 25% or so. I suspect you're right about it bottlenecking somewhere else. Maybe the GPU?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 8, 2015 at 8:42:36 pm

Is your comp set to the standard renderer or the ray-traced renderer. Unless you're using the GPU to accelerate the ray-traced renderer (or using a third party plugin that uses the GPU) AE doesn't use the GPU for much of anything.

When you render or do a RAM preview, does the info panel say anything about multiprocessing being disabled?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]