ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Cel Animation Post-Production for Film Festivals

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
melisa balaCel Animation Post-Production for Film Festivals
by on Jul 7, 2015 at 8:10:24 am

We have been working on a cel animation film project for a while and we are planning to submit our work to film festivals. When I was looking for the festival guidelines, I have noticed that 24 or 30 FPS films are required. We were drawing 16 frames per second. So do we have to add more between frames to reach 24 fps or can we do it in post-production? Do anybody have any idea about this technical issue?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Cel Animation Post-Production for Film Festivals
by on Jul 7, 2015 at 3:05:54 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jul 7, 2015 at 5:15:29 pm

You'll need to invent in-between frames to get the animation to 24 fps. The best software tool for the job is Twixtor by Re:Vision FX.

You could also place the 16fps footage in a 24fps comp and it should look okay. Try it before you look at Twixtor.

And find out specifics on how the animation you deliver will be played back! 24 fps is EXTREMELY rare for most popular playback & projection equipment. It's far more likely that the actual frame rate is 23.976 fps. You need to find out for sure -- that tiny difference in rate has big implications for the way you handle audio.

Sometimes 23.976 is called by its nickname, 23.98. But it's still actually 23.976.

And here you thought this media production stuff was fairly straightforward.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

melisa balaRe: Cel Animation Post-Production for Film Festivals
by on Jul 9, 2015 at 8:17:11 am

Hello Dave,

Thank you for your detailed answer. First of all, animation festivals want 23.976, 24, 25 or 30 fps, I think I picked the 24 one because we have been drawing 16fps and I thought 24 is the most suitable one for our film, my mistake :)

Yesterday I tried to export 16 fps composition into a 24 fps movie clip and they look the same. I think my concern is both artistic and technical. I am not sure if 16 fps animation would look good on the big screens. We are worried that multiplied in-between frames might look weird on the big screen. Can this kind of export cause problems for the film festival procedures? Should we really draw as many frames as our film requires, or is it OK to do these kinds of hacks? :)

Thank you very much Dave!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Cel Animation Post-Production for Film Festivals
by on Jul 9, 2015 at 2:10:23 pm

A lot of animation is done "on the twos" meaning, for a 24 fps delivery, the animation is done in 12 fps.

It looks just fine at a lower frame rate. We are used to seeing that in hand-drawn cartoons. Video footage would look odd, but cell animation would look normal, if that makes sense.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved