ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Title card stepthrough process

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kk Akuoku
Title card stepthrough process
on Jul 7, 2015 at 2:34:22 am

Right now, I'm planning to film an NYC travelogue over the course of the summer, highlighting certain events and places. I already have the opening titles in my head, which are inspired by the opening shot from the trailer for The Last Wave (featured below):

Basically, I want to animate a simple title card stepthrough with an incoming subway train inside of it. However, as opposed to a fully transparent title, I want it to start out as a solid color when I animate it coming in from the side, dissolve into 0% opacity, and then step through to reveal the footage of the train coming in.

How would I properly go about making this in AE? Should I start with a simple Photoshop layer and then go from there?

Return to posts index

Derek Boettcher
Re: Title card stepthrough process
on Jul 7, 2015 at 3:49:24 am

This is an easy one, make a text layer, Kristen's it from the side, then make it scale up or move in 3d space until one of the letters completely folks the screen with the color of the text. Then do your footage beneath the text later, and set its track matte to alpha. If you don't see the track matte option, hit f4 after selecting your layer. If you want to add a tint to it either drop the tint effect on an adjustment layer or on the footage and keyframe it out.

Best,
Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group
http://bthmedia.com

Return to posts index

Kk Akuoku
on Jul 7, 2015 at 4:20:45 am
Last Edited By Kk Akuoku on Jul 7, 2015 at 4:22:33 am

That's a perfectly good plan, but all of it makes it sound like I want to zoom into the letter while it's a solid color and then fade into the footage. The plan is to go solid once it moves in from the side, drop the solid color while the main title appears in full and then zoom in. Nevertheless, your plan is still something to consider.

Also, I'd like to ask, what does the tint effect do exactly? Does it do a seamless shift from the solid color to the main footage. In that case, I'll use that effect, too!

Return to posts index

Derek Boettcher
on Jul 7, 2015 at 4:51:00 am

You are misunderstanding one of the key concepts of compositing. When you set the track matte to alpha on your footage layer, it will cut out the text shape (assuming the text layer is directly above) in the footage, and will automatically hide the text layer. The alpha is the portion of your layer that is opaque vs transparent. You won't need to do any keyframimg of opacity on the text (unless you want to) and it will create that step through effect like you asked for. You do have to keyframe the position and scale (or 3d position) of the text layer though.

The tint effect allows you to remap the black and white values of your layer to other colors, allowing you to "tint" it up to two separate cookies are a time. You then can keyframe it's strength, altering it to be fully, partially, or nonaffective or anywhere in between.

Best,
Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group
http://bthmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]