ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to turn a layered piece of still art into a convincing 3D shot?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick HaHow to turn a layered piece of still art into a convincing 3D shot?
by on Jul 5, 2015 at 10:02:32 pm
Last Edited By Nick Ha on Jul 5, 2015 at 10:56:17 pm

A lot of video game trailers use a technique where they take concept art or comic book-style drawings and turn them into robust, 3D-looking scenes. My prime example in this regard is this video:

From 1:34 to 2:10, we see a series of concept art that looks almost like it's come to life. It looks like there's a lot more to it than just a parallax effect; it looks like the animators also used some kind of 3D warping technique to make it seem as if foreground elements had actual depth to them.

Prime examples being:

• 1:56: The soldier's billowing cloak, and the slight turn of his head
  • 2:00: The wall and all of its permutations.
  • 2:11: The curvature of the floor, the solar rays in the sky, the light reflecting against the water

I realize this is probably a question with an extremely complex answer, but if anyone can at least point me in the right direction (simple explanations, preferred plug-ins, etc.), I'd really appreciate it. Even links to tutorials explaining the general process would be immensely helpful--I don't know what this technique is called, so I have no idea what to look up.

Mainly, I want to know how to achieve the following things:

• Making a floor look like it's extending outwards in 3D
  • The tools used to rig a character with limbs so that they can move.
  • Making a convincing skybox

Things I already know, but would like to improve my technique on:

• Parallax layering
  • Keyframe curves and interpolation
  • Particles

If it helps, one of the scenes I'll likely be working with in the future can be seen here:

It's a cartoon-style image, but I'm hoping to give it depth by (for example) making it seem as though the bridge is extending outwards towards the camera, so that a pan-up will look dramatic.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Scrabo ShepherdRe: How to turn a layered piece of still art into a convincing 3D shot?
by on Jul 5, 2015 at 10:22:37 pm

Hi Nick!

If you google the right keywords you can find tons of free tutorial videos about 3D matte painting, camera mapping and set extensions, rigging a character in AE. Go for it! ;)

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How to turn a layered piece of still art into a convincing 3D shot?
by on Jul 6, 2015 at 10:55:10 am

If you do searches for "2.5D After Effects Tutorial" or "the kid stays in the picture effect" you will find a lot of good tutorials. Here's a couple to help get you started:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/virtual_3d_photos/

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]