ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How much would you charge for this?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Megan Denaut
How much would you charge for this?
on Jul 1, 2015 at 9:47:30 pm

I was asked to make something similar to this below for another author. I know after effects, now an expert so it'll take a little bit to create. For other video projects I usually charge $30 an hour so would that carry over into this? Or I was thinking a flat rate of $300. She sa new client so I've never done work for her before. Any help would be awesome. I feel like I always underprice myself.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: How much would you charge for this?
on Jul 2, 2015 at 12:57:15 pm

Charge per hour, give a range of hours you think the project will take. 8-10, 12-16 hours, this is important and you need to get really good at estimating your time.

As far as price, 30 bucks an hour seems really low. That barely covers the cost of the you, not your equipment and utilities...Just my .02 cents, but you might want to rethink your pricing model.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Megan Denaut
on Jul 2, 2015 at 3:25:45 pm

Thank you! See I just do it freelance as needed right now so I really need to figure out prices. I feel when I charge what I would like, people don't move forward. So I feel like I'm pricing them out so I tend to shoot low.

So is $50 an hour better or more than that?

Thanks for your input!
Megan

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jul 2, 2015 at 3:39:15 pm

I haven't freelanced in a while, but 50 seems reasonable, you might ask around a bit, talk to others in your area.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 2, 2015 at 6:44:56 pm

[Megan Denaut] "See I just do it freelance as needed right now so I really need to figure out prices."

I find that lots of starting freelancers underestimate their expenses. Think like a business. Check this out:

https://motivapp.com/freelance-hourly-rate-calculator

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Megan Denaut
on Jul 2, 2015 at 8:30:27 pm

Thank you! That's a great site and will help so much more. I've tried to make it my own business but I can emeber get steady enough work and I always fee it's bc maybe I'm charging too much but I'll have to really just be stern with my pricing.

Return to posts index

Derek Boettcher
on Jul 2, 2015 at 7:47:37 pm

Mr. Soyka has a great point, and I implore you to use that resource he provided you. Personally, I charge 65 an hour for 2D animation, and 75 an hour for 3D. But I have charged as much as 100 an hour for design work or if I have a lot of projects going on at one time. I also typically charge 25-35 an hour for render tone as well and charge back to the client any music licensing fees etc. Hope that helps.

Best,
Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group
http://bthmedia.com

Return to posts index

Megan Denaut
on Jul 2, 2015 at 8:33:23 pm

Thank you. For graphic desig lb and web creation I charge $20 an hour and for video I usually do it per project bc hourly it usually come out to so much and a bunch of people then didn't follow through. I've heard $100 an hour for 3D but I guess I'm working with small town people who really don't have that budget so I tend to make the prices lower for them but also I guess screwing myself. Just with this project I know to the client it looks simple even if they don't understand how it works.

But thank you all for the advice. I'll figure out my pricing and just stick to it so I can make this more of a business than a side project.

Thanks!
Megan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]