ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CC 2015: Multiprocessing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan LutjensCC 2015: Multiprocessing
by on Jul 1, 2015 at 8:22:26 pm

I've searched briefly and didn't find any threads addressing this.
It appears that Adobe has completely removed the ability to use multiple cores when rendering (or previewing).
At first I thought they had simply built the feature in to the new version and removed the option to turn it on or off. But when I rendered an animation that took 3x as long as it had in CC 2014, I knew something was up. Saw a post on the Adobe forum complaining about the same thing and someone from Adobe pretty much confirmed it without a full admission.
I've been frustrated with how Adobe does some of its updates, but this is pretty insane. I can't use this to work as pretty much every client expects that new software and hardware will speed up the process, not slow it down...

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: CC 2015: Multiprocessing
by on Jul 1, 2015 at 8:49:38 pm

I highly, highly recommend keeping 13.2 around. 13.5 shows the first steps with a major re-architecture of Ae, and as you note, it's not all there yet.

I've been doing production work in Ae CC 2015 for some time, as I really like the new preview model and the expression performance is vastly improved, but I'm still doing all my renders in 13.2 to take advantage of multiprocessing.

Adobe addresssed this at launch here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2015/06/features-not-available-in-after...

"The Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously feature has been superseded by the new architecture in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5). The new architecture will allow a future version of After Effects to utilize processor threads and RAM more efficiently than the Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously functionality ever could.

Options related to Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously have been removed from the preferences, and Preferences > Memory & Multiprocessing has been renamed to Preferences > Memory.

If you want to use Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously to speed up final rendering via the render queue, you can still do so by opening the project in After Effects CC 2014 (13.2)."

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jonathan LutjensRe: CC 2015: Multiprocessing
by on Jul 1, 2015 at 9:18:17 pm

Thanks for the info, Walter.
This seems to me like another case of companies moving backwards in order to keep up some strange idea of appearances or another "strategy" for sales.
If you want to put out a new version of your software that isn't fully ready, that's fine. But don't bill it as an "upgrade" or update. That implies an overall improvement. Losing the ability to render with multiple processors is huge for anyone doing professional work.
It seems like Adobe did less of this in the past. Sure, new versions had bugs, but they weren't major problems. I don't know how to not see this as some kind of rush to "stay current" even when what you're putting out there isn't current where real world functionality is concerned.
If the trend continues, I may pursue Nuke...

Thanks again for sharing your experience!

Return to posts index

by on Jul 1, 2015 at 9:57:17 pm

[Jonathan Lutjens] " Losing the ability to render with multiple processors is huge for anyone doing professional work. I don't know how to not see this as some kind of rush to "stay current" even when what you're putting out there isn't current where real world functionality is concerned. If the trend continues, I may pursue Nuke..."

Ae's old multiprocessing was really, really bad. It's certainly better than nothing, which is why I'm still rendering with 13.2, but it was horribly inefficient, it didn't scale well, and it wasn't the way forward.

It's not really obvious from this the user-facing features in this release how much engineering has gone into Ae between 13.2 and 13.5. Adobe has done a major re-architecture of After Effects. The basic Ae architecture was 20 years old, and while it may have suited computers two decades years ago, our basic assumptions about how a desktop computer is built has changed a lot since then.

In this release, Ae's rendering and UI have been separated for the first time. This has taken the majority of the Ae team more than a year to do. It's a necessary step if Ae wishes to stick around for another 20 years and should ultimately enable a much more efficient multiprocessing system. In my opinion, this work is long overdue. If Ae hadn't taken this step, I'd be pursuing NUKE.

My friend Aindreas has compared this elsewhere on the COW to changing the wings of an airplane during flight.

I understand why people are disappointed with this release. The benefits are not immediately obvious, and there are real downsides like the lack of MP.

But frankly, I consider this the most important release since CS5 when Ae went 64-bit. I'm looking at this as a long game, where this is the first step toward getting Ae's performance where it needs to be.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: CC 2015: Multiprocessing
by on Jul 2, 2015 at 2:43:58 pm

[Walter Soyka] "My friend Aindreas has compared this elsewhere on the COW to changing the wings of an airplane during flight."

Risky for the passengers, the crew likely have parachutes.

Your defence of Adobe beggars belief.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 2, 2015 at 3:13:45 pm

[Brian Charles] "Your defence of Adobe beggars belief."

I'm not blindly defending Adobe. I like Ae. I want it to stick around. But if you use other products besides Ae as I do, you'll see that its performance is nowhere near what it could be.

I see 13.5 is bumpy for many users, but I think it's necessary.

I have seen too many other good products whither and die because they haven't done the kind of massive re-architecture that the Ae team is doing now. In my opinion, it's a really forward-looking move and I'm ok with a step back now to take steps forward in the future. The status quo really wasn't good enough.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: CC 2015: Multiprocessing
by on Jul 2, 2015 at 7:20:54 pm
Last Edited By Brian Charles on Jul 2, 2015 at 7:21:46 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I see 13.5 is bumpy for many users, but I think it's necessary."

I agree that evolution of the product is a good thing. What is not necessary is the premature release of an unfinished product.

The users are the ones who suffer the bumpiness you refer to. Better to hold off and release the software when its ready for prime time.

This is beginning to sound too much like the 'debate' thread. Sorry – I'll be quiet now.

Return to posts index

Jonathan LutjensRe: CC 2015: Multiprocessing
by on Jul 2, 2015 at 7:30:18 pm

I wasn't aware of how outdated the underlying architecture of AE has been for so long. I'm certainly in favor of any upgrades and re-tooling that will lead to a better product. I've been using AE for about 15 years now and feel that I've still only scratched the surface of all its potential. I really love it and hope to continue to use it for years to come.
My problem is not with the software itself, but with the way that Adobe often chooses to move forward. When it comes to the difficulty of implementing changes like this to a working piece of software, I find that over the last 3 or 4 years the users are increasingly being asked to deal with the growing pains.
Your analogy and Brian's response seem very fitting. If your concern is primarily for the passengers, you would take a break and land the plane.
Why not wait to update until something as critical as multiprocessing has been dialed in on the new version? I'm 95% sure that the answer has more to do with stock price and market share than with serving the people who have been AE customers for years.
I'm not going anywhere yet. I'm sure once this is sorted out I'll be thrilled with the new version. I just wish I didn't have to go through the headache of working around no multiprocessing. Waiting a bit longer would have been much preferred.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]