ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Parenting issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack HextallParenting issue
by on Jul 1, 2015 at 3:03:01 pm

Hi all,

So I'm struggling with parenting and feel there's probably a simple solution but I can't find it.

I've got some text and separated each character into it's own layer. I want each word to move as a group, but then independently move each letter.

So I've made a null for each word and parented the letters from that word to its null. So far so good. I've got the words changing position and rotation, and I then want the letters to move only vertically. My problem is that when I keyframe each letter's position to move vertically, this is affected by the rotation of the word. I can go keyframe each letter's position to make up for this rotation, but it's very timeconsuming for the number of letters I need to animate and isn't exact.

I was hoping I could make nulls for each letter and apply the vertical movement to those, but of course I can't parent the letters to these nulls because they're already parented to the word nulls.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Parenting issue
by on Jul 1, 2015 at 4:33:37 pm

2D or 3D?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Parenting issue
by on Jul 1, 2015 at 4:40:38 pm
Last Edited By Cassius Marques on Jul 1, 2015 at 4:41:25 pm

Instead of keyframing position, keyframe the letter's anchor point and rotate those letters the same amount in the opposite direction.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved