ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Looping zoom in on object

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan TorrenceLooping zoom in on object
by on Jun 29, 2015 at 12:50:27 am

I'm trying to create a looping zoom animation with motion blur where an object shrinks, and then the camera quickly zooms in on the shrunken object in the same position (so it looks normal sized again), which then loops.

Any ideas? i've tried several different tutorials involving the Camera layer, and then just using Position and Scale and nothing quite looks right.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Looping zoom in on object
by on Jun 29, 2015 at 3:57:08 am

You're doing a few different things - which part exactly doesn't look right???
Is your issue with looping, zooming or something else?

- Roland

TypeGEMs - the Definitive Type Gizmo for AE

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations
Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Evan TorrenceRe: Looping zoom in on object
by on Jul 15, 2015 at 8:36:34 pm

I think my big issue is the zoom effect. When the object shrinks down and is then zoomed in on, it should be quick and give the impression of motion.

I ended up using a Camera and Null layer, increasing the position to give the zoom effect, which works well EXCEPT it doesn't actually look like a quick camera zoom, instead it looks more like I'm just scaling up the image.

I have motion blur checked on the layer, but it doesn't seem drastic enough. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Looping zoom in on object
by on Jul 16, 2015 at 6:08:52 am
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Jul 16, 2015 at 6:11:02 am

I suspect that in order to get it to look like the camera is moving when zooming in, you will need to have a background that gets enlarged when the camera moves in. Then when the background is stationary and the object shrinks, it gives a clear differentiation between the two actions.

To make it seamless, the start frame of the zoom in and the end frame will need to look the same. It is probably easiest to do sort of a double zoom (camera zoom from the current position in AND a zoom from a far-away position to the current camera position) and blend between them during the zoom -- you can get away with a lot with a fast zoom -- so that you end up with the exact same background on the first and last frame.

You could also increase the motion blur shutter angle (if you haven't already) to make the motion blur even more prominent. Composition settings>Advanced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved