ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Different animations within the same precomposition?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan TuneDifferent animations within the same precomposition?
by on Jun 26, 2015 at 6:25:41 pm

I have a puppet made of PS layers and rigged with DUIK. It is meant to perform dozens of animations, which include interacting with layered backgrounds, putting foreground elements in front of the puppet, background elements behind the puppet. For this reason, I wanted to precompose the puppet rig and use instances of it throughout my composition.

Of course, any keyframe animation I did within the precomposition would apply to each instance of the puppet.

Is there a way to create precompositions that maintain their link to the source files, but can be animated independently of the other instances?

Can you duplicate a precomposition and change its name? Cut its feedback to the original precomposition somehow?

My only workaround right now is to put all the animations onto my single precomposition and reveal one of them at a time by selectively trimming every instance of that precomposition, but it strikes me as inefficient and confusing.

Does this make any sense? Does what I want go against all the precepts of After Effects law?

I appreciate you taking the time to read this. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Peter DiefenthalerRe: Different animations within the same precomposition?
by on Jun 26, 2015 at 7:25:39 pm

Every change you make in a pre-comp will exist in every instance of it. So you can't have the same pre-comp do different things. However, you can have multiple instances displaying a different point in time.

From what I understand, you basically want to create a bunch of animations of different actions and then be able to arrange them however you like. I would create all of these actions in one pre-comp(use marker comments to label each action to stay organized), then in the main comp, chop up the layer to separate all of the different actions. Name them accordingly. Now that you have your “action library” you can begin arranging your sequence. This is much like what you describe as your work-around, but it's probably the best approach to what you want to do.

Peter Diefenthaler

Return to posts index

Jonathan TuneRe: Different animations within the same precomposition?
by on Jun 26, 2015 at 7:49:17 pm

Ah I suspected as much. Thanks for your help, Peter! Chopping up the layer is a good idea.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved