ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3d Layers Jittering with Depth of field

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Powers3d Layers Jittering with Depth of field
by on Jun 24, 2015 at 5:14:10 pm

I'm building an animation in After Effects that entails multiple 3d layers all being at the same point in z space, but with different masks cut out of them so that different elements of each layer show through.

(imagine 3 3d layers all at the same place, one has a square mask, one a circle, one a triangle, since they are all at the same point of z space, the ones layered "on top" of the others in the layer stack show up first...)

This works fine when I move the camera around normally, however, as soon as I add depth of field, the layers start to jump around, ones further down in the stack popping forward and then back.

I can fix this by nudging the layers forward or backward in z space, however, this is not only tedious, but also ruins the exactness of the image.

any ideas on how to keep the layers from jittering?

PS - Here's a tutorial I made a while ago that shows the sort of layering that I'm dealing with:

Return to posts index

Peter DiefenthalerRe: 3d Layers Jittering with Depth of field
by on Jun 25, 2015 at 2:55:47 am

This sounds like z-fighting. Try putting an adjustment layer between each of the layers that are occupying the same space. Then the layers will no longer intersect each other.

Peter Diefenthaler

Return to posts index

Chris PowersRe: 3d Layers Jittering with Depth of field
by on Jun 25, 2015 at 1:05:58 pm

Ah, that sounds like a great idea, I hadn't thought of using an adjustment layer as a buffer.....that will probably do the trick, thanks Peter!

- Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved