ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Fake golf ball - any ideas?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jess Hinchliffe
Fake golf ball - any ideas?
on Jun 23, 2015 at 10:23:30 am

Hi,

I'm new(ish) to AE and looking ideally for a tutorial/advice on how to create a specific effect.

I have a scene where the actor hits a golf ball past and towards the camera - the golf ball is not actually there - the actor just plays it out. How best to go about this is AE do you think? I can create a textured ball and animate it, is that correct? I obviously want to make it look sphere-like and "light" it correctly. Any advice/tuition at all would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Fake golf ball - any ideas?
on Jun 23, 2015 at 10:33:52 am

I'd get a Golf Bar texture, apply CC Sphere to it and use play with the CC Sphere lighting parameters to composite it into the scene. Then just animate with Sphere scale/rotation parameters when it's hit. Probably add CC force motion blur to it also.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 23, 2015 at 11:55:04 am
Last Edited By John Cuevas on Jun 23, 2015 at 11:56:54 am

Little more to it then just applying it to CC Sphere. Check out this tutorial on using CC Glass to create bump maps...there's actually a discussion in the comments about creating a golf ball.

Bump Map Comments

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 23, 2015 at 12:51:36 pm

Adding a 3D golf ball model with Element 3D is another option.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jess Hinchliffe
on Jun 23, 2015 at 3:50:17 pm

Wow guys - thanks for all the input, the bump map and CC sphere seems a good option - wish me luck!

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Jun 23, 2015 at 9:29:13 pm

how far away is the camera from the golf ball...because if it starts off small and whips by the camera fast enough, a simple picture of a golf ball could work

Return to posts index

Jess Hinchliffe
on Jun 24, 2015 at 11:47:41 am

Okay guys - just to tie this up neatly. I got a golfball texture and used CC sphere on it; I played with the lighting and shading parameters and animated the sphere. It looks great! The thing is, I put in all that effort and once motion blur was added, I realised I could have gained the same effect with a simple white circle! :D

We live and learn. The ball itself though looks great, so would recommend the sphere/texture combo to anyone trying to recreate it :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]