ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

freezing the scale of a precomp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gary telfer
freezing the scale of a precomp
on Jun 23, 2015 at 3:01:52 am

i began an animation test at a resolution of 720x486, importing particle sequences rendered in maya at the same resolution, and duplicating them many, many times in AE and then arranging and animating them in a 'field', each individual particle layer diminishing in scale to create perspectival distance. for the final render i increased the AE resolution to 1920x1080, and re-rendered the particles in maya at the same larger resolution. two things happened: the 'field' appears too small in the higher resolution, and when i replace the smaller res particles with the higher res ones they appear really big in the 'field' because they are a higher res. i understand why everything is working the way it is, and am hoping there is a way to save me redoing everything at the larger res. my solution to the first problem was to precomp the particle layers and scale it up, and that worked fine, however the individual high res particle layers remain too large for their positions created at the lower res. here are two questions: 1) can a precomp be deleted and have its scale attribute globally applied to the layers that were in it? 2) can i add another scale attribute on top of already ones? each duplicated particle layer's position and scale is animated, and because there's so many i don't want to go back in and redo them all. if i could select the layers and globally assign a new scale on top of the already existing animated scales that would save me a lot of work. it would be like a meta-scale function

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: freezing the scale of a precomp
on Jun 23, 2015 at 12:55:17 pm

[gary telfer] "if i could select the layers and globally assign a new scale on top of the already existing animated scales that would save me a lot of work. it would be like a meta-scale function"

Two options:

1) Add a null, make the layer you want to scale a child of that null with the parent pickwhip, then scale the null.

2) Alt+click the scale property and enter an expression like this:
value*0.5

This will multiply the post-expression value by 0.5.

In either case, you can control scale without messing with your animation.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

gary telfer
Re: freezing the scale of a precomp
on Jun 23, 2015 at 3:22:21 pm

thanks, works like a charm!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved