ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What is going wrong in this repeater?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julie MullinsWhat is going wrong in this repeater?
by on Jun 22, 2015 at 5:00:14 pm

Hi folks!

I'm trying to make a series of simple radial repeaters. Works fine for the square shapes:

But when I try to do a rectangle I can't get the rotation and copies to work the way I want. It looks like they just skew and rotate on top of themselves. I thought maybe moving the anchor point to the bottom of the rectangle would fix it but no luck. I'm stumped here.

What am I doing wrong here?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: What is going wrong in this repeater?
by on Jun 22, 2015 at 5:44:28 pm

I think it's likely that you've tried to transfer your square into a rectangle using the lyre's transform properties... try adjusting the shape layer's path size properties (probably something like contents>rectangle>rectangle path>size, though your shape may be named differently)

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Julie MullinsRe: What is going wrong in this repeater?
by on Jun 22, 2015 at 6:17:23 pm

Hi Kevin,

I tried it over starting from a new shape layer, but I'm still having the same problem. Here's my file

8959_rectangletest.aep.zip

Return to posts index

by on Jun 22, 2015 at 6:36:06 pm

assuming you want everything the same as in the squares layer, try this:
  • duplicate your square layer, rename it rectangle
  • twirl down the rectangle layer's properties to get to contents>rectangle path 1>size and unlink the x/y scale properties by clicking the chainlink icon next to them.
  • since the size value is keyframes, move the last keyframe and enter the value for the rectangle -- ex: 100,200.

you should now have a circular array of rectangles

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Julie MullinsRe: What is going wrong in this repeater?
by on Jun 22, 2015 at 10:40:27 pm

What would be the best way to do this from scratch?

Return to posts index

by on Jun 23, 2015 at 8:20:25 pm

in a comp, make sure no layers are selected, then click the rectangle tool (if it's a different shape tool, click and hold the tool and select the rectangle).

then draw a rectangle in the comp viewer about the size that you need it (you can refine it later if needed).

then to make sure the anchor point is in the center, right-click the rectangle you've drawn and choose transform>center anchor point.

twirl down the shape layer properties to contents> rectangle 1>rectangle path 1 and offset the x or y position property so the anchor point is outside the rectangle (i would only change the x or y, not both). you could also refine the size property if needed. if you wanted to key frame the size and position, as in the example, you'd do that here too, but i'd do that after you repeat it.

to repeat that shape, click the 'add' menu arrow that's to the right of the 'contents' property group of the shape layer and choose repeater.

in the repeater property group that shows up, set copies to whatever value is needed (6, for example) and then set the transform: repeater1>position to 0,0 (the default is 100,0) and set the rotation to 360/number-or-copies (360/60, for example).

once you've done that you should have a circular array of rectangles. you can animate the position and size properties described above to make them radiate outwards if you were trying to copy your example. you would also animate the opacity of either the layer or the fill/stroke opacity properties of rectangle 1 property group.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]