ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Cineware unusably slow, spinning wheel between everything I do. TCP/connection problem?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Drage
Cineware unusably slow, spinning wheel between everything I do. TCP/connection problem?
on Jun 22, 2015 at 1:01:14 pm
Last Edited By Tim Drage on Jun 22, 2015 at 9:24:57 pm

Hi, I'm having trouble with Cineware in AE CC 2014. If i create a new Cinema 4D file in a comp, the entire program becomes unusably sluggish, spinning a pinwheel cursor for 5 to 20 seconds-ish every time I move the playhead or do/select anything at all in said comp, even things unrelated to the Cineware layer. It's never worked properly on this machine, I didn't use it on my previous one but have used it successfully without problems on other machines at work. I'm not getting any error messages and everything else works OK.

I've done quite a lot of searching on AE forums and have found a few people with the same kind of problem, but very few with any solution at all and those few don't work for me. It seems from what i've read that it's most likely a problem with TCP communication between the two apps/connection timeouts, but nothing related to that i've tried so far has helped.

My specs:

latest updated OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 with quicktime 10.4
iMac Retina 5k, 32gb memory
After Effects CC 2014.2 (just installed 2015 as well, briefly tried that and had the same issue)
Cinema 4D Lite 16.038 as installed with AE and fully updated.

Since I suspect it's a TCP problem, changing the TCP port in Cineware options seems like the obvious thing to do, but I'm not sure what different ones to use: I've scanned for open ports with Network Utility, as far as I can see the only open port has 5 digits and the cineware options only allow a 4 digit number to be entered! When i tested this a while back I did try some fairly random 4 digit ones (purging all memory/cache and restarting AE in between) to no avail.

Haven't managed to figure out how I might go about opening/forwarding a port and don't really understand if it's even possible to do so within OS X as opposed to the settings in my router for connecting to the outside world...?

Other things I've tried:
* Turning off wifi (as mentioned here https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1877012 ) didn't help
* ...neither did fixing preference permissions (as per http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2014/06/permissions-mac-os-start-adobe-... )
* repaired permissions in Disk Utility
* Have tried trashing the AE preferences and making a C4D file without altering any prefs, same problem still occurs.
* OS X firewall is off already so there's nothing to allow, (and I tried turning it on but not blocking anything) and I have no 3rd party security/firewall software.
* I don't have any 3rd party Quicktime components to try turning off or video hardware to disconnect.
* Tried while logged in as Root, no difference.
* Tried while logged in as a new user, no difference.
* Changing the TCP port in Cineware options (as detailed above)

Please let me know any ideas, any info would be much appreciated. It would be amazing to actually be able to use Cineware at all!
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Cineware unusably slow, spinning wheel between everything I do. TCP/connection problem?
on Jul 18, 2015 at 5:55:03 pm

I've been having the same issue, the plugin makes after effects completely unuseable.

There's another thread here: https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/50/862862#862862

Thus far, i've only heard of macs with yosemite having this issue. I'm considering installing mavericks on another drive and seeing if the issue is still there.

I'm hoping you may have made some progress, or even other failed attempts to share.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Cineware unusably slow, spinning wheel between everything I do. TCP/connection problem?
on Jul 21, 2015 at 7:24:37 pm

i did finally find a solution and posted it here:

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/50/862862

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Tim Drage
on Jul 22, 2015 at 12:02:26 pm

Thanks for the replies, useful stuff. Glad you got it working, argh a clean install isn't much fun but I might have to try that, have tried everything else too.

My machine has only ever been Yosemite from brand new and I didn't use migration assistant when I first set it up but I guess something could have got messed up.

Return to posts index

Tim Drage
on Jul 22, 2015 at 4:45:33 pm

update: I DID THE LATEST SOFTWARE UPDATE AND IT WORKS NOW!!! :D

updated to 10.10.4 (14E56) (I think it's a new update just from the last few days, been away from my computer) and it seems to work fine, no pinwheel and I can drag the camera around in the comp with no lag or sluggishness at all!! So glad I didn't have to do a full reinstall

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 22, 2015 at 9:50:52 pm

Yes. Apple fixed bugs in Yosemite that were causing issues in AE. There's a post stickied at the top of /r/AfterEffects on Reddit where Todd from Adobe mentions it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jul 22, 2015 at 11:10:30 pm

it wasn't related to the version of yosemite, it worked fine on yosemite 10.10.1 (that was the installer i had disk imaged to a usb stick). it's an issue with the install of my current (soon to be late) yosemite which is up to date. there must be some settings somewhere that are creating issues between C4D and AE when using the Cineware plugin.

to troubleshoot, i had partitioned my drive, installed mavericks, installed ae cc14 and checked the C4D integration. when that worked, i wiped that partition and installed yosemite (10.10.1) and cc14, and when that worked I updated that os to the latest, and it still worked.

so then, i went back and started to try and 'reset' my current yosemite install (on the main partition), reset network settings, no firewall, cleared a bunch of preferences, re-installed ae cc14, but nothing worked... so i've cloned the main partition and as i have time, i'm rebuilding that system drive.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]