ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CC 2015 - Keep getting Error: Cached Preview needs 2 or more frames to playback.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Bowser
CC 2015 - Keep getting Error: Cached Preview needs 2 or more frames to playback.
on Jun 19, 2015 at 5:50:33 pm

The only way to get it to play back is to close down After Effects and reopen it.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: CC 2015 - Keep getting Error: Cached Preview needs 2 or more frames to playback.
on Jun 20, 2015 at 5:13:34 am

Send a BR (Bug Report) here - https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

While you're at it, do state the CODECs used, plugins and system resources you've set aside and your system's components, including OS and AE version.

HTH
- Roland

TypeGEMs - the Definitive Type Gizmo for AE
http://broadcastgems.com/typegems/

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations
Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

http://www.broadcastgems.com/mographintensity_shapestext/

Return to posts index

Ben Exler
Re: CC 2015 - Keep getting Error: Cached Preview needs 2 or more frames to playback.
on Jun 25, 2015 at 5:49:42 am

I have the same issue with After Effects CC 2015, and I've submitted the bug to Adobe using Roland's link.

Curiously, this also happens in CC 2014 now. I never had this problem before I downloaded CC 2015, and now it seems to affect both. The only difference is that in 2014 it says "RAM Preview" instead of "Cached Preview".

Return to posts index

Val Laz
on Jun 29, 2015 at 10:48:36 am

Has there been no update on this? Quite annoying that I cant use the program due to the constant errors.

Return to posts index

Joel Evans
on Jul 30, 2015 at 6:37:42 pm

Same thing with me.

Thank you for taking the time to post.

Return to posts index

Paulina Leon
on Jul 27, 2015 at 5:19:09 pm

Would love an update on it as well! Now even a restart doesn't help.
Tried to adjust RAM settings, all tips for older similar errors (when previous versions said RAM Preview not Cached Preview). Nothing.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Smart Emovon
on May 2, 2017 at 6:03:24 am

Okay guys i think i found out what it it....

Goto your Edit menu> Purge Image cache Memory

It worked for my project.

ESO
/ee-so/

Return to posts index

Claudia Kunin
on Jul 30, 2015 at 4:51:32 pm

yuppers
same thing is happening to me....
shutting down and re-starting doesn't help
neither does quitting the software and reopening the program.....
oops a nelly

Return to posts index

Lou Ruiz
on Aug 1, 2015 at 1:36:58 pm
Last Edited By Lou Ruiz on Aug 1, 2015 at 1:45:28 pm

I ran into this problem last night, while trying to preview my first C4D file in after effects. I tried various internet fixes but none worked. This morning I remembered during install, certain CC apps would stall due to something called Adobe Crash Daemon, and the fix was to quit Adobe Crash Daemon in the mac activity monitor; the install would then continue to completion.

So I tried it for this problem, and it worked! Not sure if this is at all related, or if purging and closing the app again was the real trick, but something changed and I no longer get the error message.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Lou Ruiz
on Aug 1, 2015 at 1:56:06 pm

Scratch that, its back.

I did a few adjustments in CD4 and tried to preview in AE. Same error.

Return to posts index

Alexander Cockburn
on Aug 3, 2015 at 3:22:43 pm

Are you running Chrome or another browser at same time?

Return to posts index

Steven Schultz
on Aug 20, 2015 at 11:51:08 pm

Your preview bar is too short. Take your head and slide it all the way to the start of the comp and hit B (beginning) on the keyboard. Then slide your head to the end of the comp and hit N (end). The hit spacebar to preview. problem solved. Somehow your work area bar got reduced to zero frames. You can also put your head exact at the beginning of what you want to preview and hit B and then move it to the end of what you want to preview and hit N. You do not need the entire comp. Happy editing.

Return to posts index

Tracy Collins
on Sep 1, 2015 at 1:39:48 pm

Tried the suggestion of comp start and end using 'b' and 'n'. no luck.

This problem started for me in the past 2 days. Using AE CC 2015. So annoying!

Return to posts index

Steven Schultz
on Sep 1, 2015 at 3:53:32 pm

How big is your work bar area?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Riddle
on Sep 22, 2015 at 5:21:08 pm

I just downloaded a trial version of Trapcode Particular and now get this message every time I try to do anything with the plug in. Adobe says that it is a problem with the plugin and compatibilty with After Effects CC 2015. Red Giant sent a new trial install without update applied (which apparently broke it)
Now I cant do anything without the error. I am at a loss at this point.
Guess I will uninstall again and see what happens. I really wanted to take Trapcode Particular for a test spin.

Return to posts index

Brandon Clapp
on Sep 7, 2015 at 1:23:40 am

Have you cleared your cache? I've had this issue before as well and it was caused by the cache filling up.

Go to preferences -> Media and Disk Cache -> Empty Disk Cache

I had to restart After Effects afterwards since it did not work right away.

Hopefully this helps!

Return to posts index

Matt Jones
on Sep 17, 2015 at 1:54:57 pm

I got this sorted by going to Preferences > Memory, and making sure "Reduce Cache size when system is low on memory" is NOT checked.

Return to posts index

jeff morey
on Sep 21, 2015 at 2:12:37 pm

Hi all I'm having the same issue.

I tried Matt's suggestion and it didn't work for me.... I started getting this error last week and have tried re-installing AE 2x, running disk utility/cleaner, emptying cache, deleting preferences, quitting chrome (and everything else), changing codecs, etc. Previewing correctly ONLY happens when i click on a panel menu pulldown after I hit spacebar/0/period - when the contextual menu appears, preview starts playing correctly. When I release the mouse (and the contextual menu disappears) I lose the RAM green bar and it plays all chunky and messed up again, with that error message (but the message only appears sometimes).

Preview generally is not being saved in RAM at all... the little green indicator bar over the timeline loses it's green after just a couple frames (it used to span for several seconds... I have 26G RAM dedicated to AE. Unless I click and hold on a menu pulldown at the same time for duration of the preview.

I hope this is resolved soon! thanks all!

Return to posts index

Jonathan Perkins
on Oct 28, 2015 at 3:14:38 am

Going to Preferences > Memory, and making sure "Reduce Cache size when system is low on memory" is NOT checked WORKED for me too! Thanks Matt!

Return to posts index

James On
on Nov 5, 2015 at 4:16:52 pm

I am having the same issue.

Reducing the cache size did not fix the problem for me.

Edit > Purge All Memory & Disk Cache followed by restarting AE fixed the issue, but only temporarily. The problem returns after multiple preview renders.

Perhaps it has to do with 3D rendering. I am working with 3D objects using Element 3D.

Return to posts index

Jami Johns
on Apr 26, 2016 at 4:01:36 am

I've been having this same problem the last several times I've used After Effects, and nothing I've tried has helped. But, after reading Matt Jones' comment

by Matt Jones on Sep 17, 2015 at 9:54:57 am

I got this sorted by going to Preferences > Memory, and making sure "Reduce Cache size when system is low on memory" is NOT checked.

I unchecked "Reduce Cache size when system is low on memory", and nada! my problem is fixed!

Thanks, Matt Jones!

Return to posts index

Greg C Neumayer
on Nov 5, 2015 at 4:03:19 pm

I just started getting this error (in AE 2014.2) when I upgraded (trial version) to the new Trapcode package (v13. The one with Tao).

Unchecking the "reduce cache size when system is low on memory", seems to help, but it's a total workaround. I'm running 96GB of RAM!

Mid-2010 Mac Tower
OS 10.10.3 (Yosemite)
GeForce GTX 680
96GB RAM
2 x 3.06 6-Core

Return to posts index

Calvin Runji
on Nov 6, 2015 at 7:28:21 pm

this is how to fix the issue. get the file to play then pause it. now you are able to play back using ram preview.

Return to posts index

Iwan Smith
on Nov 6, 2015 at 9:39:02 pm

I usually fix this by going to the first frame of my work area, then I press 'Space' on the keyboard. After a few frames are rendered, I can do a RAM preview
Let me know if you need further assistance http://iwansfactory.com/

http://iwansfactory.com
Motion graphics portfolio

Return to posts index

Carey Pagan
on Nov 12, 2015 at 2:58:22 am

I got this after emptying the cache and none of these suggestions helped.

Fixed it by clearing the cache and then immediately repairing permissions, quitting and reopening A.

Return to posts index

Andrew Pons
on Jan 4, 2016 at 4:59:29 pm

Not sure if this issue has been resolved but the way that I fixed it (on OS X 10.11 El Capitan) was to delete the After Effects Preferences folder in the library. Navigate to /Users/youruserfolder/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects and delete the most current preferences folder. Next time you start After Effects it may ask you if you want to import your settings from a previous version of AE. I chose NO to this option, just incase it was migrating the problem from an older version. This fixed my issue.

Return to posts index

Viviana DeMarchi
on Mar 28, 2016 at 6:40:41 pm

After trying a couple of alternatives, emptying Disk Cache worked form me!

Return to posts index

John Rohrbach
on May 13, 2016 at 8:09:58 pm

I did the same thing - also increased the size. Was 100 gigs, made it 200. Two hours later, problem has not reoccured.

Return to posts index

hanna dean
on May 14, 2016 at 11:47:45 am

what ram do u have ram is important for that to work proper i have cc 14/15 no issue
16gb ram
i7

Return to posts index

Cameron Walser
on Jul 14, 2016 at 8:12:30 pm

Holy Cow - it was Chrome running in the background. I quit the browser, and suddenly it started working!

Thanks for that post!

Return to posts index

Avinash Ramanath
on May 22, 2017 at 8:04:21 am

Go to your Edit menu> Purge Image cache Memory
This worked for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]