ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can I select/move multiple layers and keyframes at the same time?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robbie Dickson
Can I select/move multiple layers and keyframes at the same time?
on Jun 19, 2015 at 11:05:27 am

Ok, so I have been using After Effects for some time and there is one thing that I don't think is possible, but would make life so much easier if it was...

Say I have a complicated sequence with lots of layers and lots of keyframes and want to speed up or cut out a section that is a few seconds long. To do this I need to be able to move some layers forward in time, but also just the keyframes from some layers, rather than the whole layer.

So is there a method of selecting multiple layers and also specific keyframes from other layers at the same time?

Or does anybody have a method of retiming big complicated sequences? We're often faced with our projects turning into a total nightmare because the script has beed changed or the final VO timings are very different. Just grabbing a few layers and moving them can turn everything into a confusing mess. Especially as you can't seem to move layers and keyframes at the same time

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Can I select/move multiple layers and keyframes at the same time?
on Jun 19, 2015 at 5:16:01 pm

I face the same challenges. The Home Office makes an AE project timed out to THEIR announcer, but OUR announcer is different -- different timings.

You just have to tough it out, I'm sorry to say. Move keyframes that need moving -- you can lasso a bunch of them and move them all at once, and you can shift-click to select just certain keyframes, them move them.

Layers? Well, you just move them.

And you have to be careful! Modifying complicated pre-built projects can be a time-consuming pain, to say the least.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Robbie Dickson
on Jun 22, 2015 at 9:12:51 am

Thanks guys, I figured as much but thought it was worth making sure!

Surely it wouldn't that hard for Adobe to implement.

For now I'll just keep on doing it the hard way!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 23, 2015 at 4:49:08 pm

Well, I for one DO think it would be tough for Adobe to pull off. The process would involve knowing one's intentions, i.e. a bit of clairvoyance would be involved.

Cripes, Adobe can't even discern user desires when hit in the face with them, to say nothing of clairvoyance. The former Mr. After Effects, Steve Forde, posted a blog asking in so many words, "What if we just made AE work better? Would that be enough?"

The overwhelming response from AE users in so many words was, "Hell, yes!"

So what do users get in the new AE CC 2015? A cutesy animation aid that works in conjunction with a web cam, a buggy speed improvement in previewing and an update that deletes the previous versions unless you have the presence of mind to look before you install to turn the "delete old applications" switch off. Which means you had to A) distrust Adobe from the get-go or B) be clairvoyant... which Adobe clearly isn't. Sneaky, yes. Clairvoyant, no.

Thanks a boatload, Adobe.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 20, 2015 at 5:05:59 am

You can't move KFs and layer I/O across multiple layers simultaneously. Either you precomp and Time Remap or be very careful when move the KFs and layers separately.

HTH
- Roland

TypeGEMs - the Definitive Type Gizmo for AE
http://broadcastgems.com/typegems/

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations
Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

http://www.broadcastgems.com/mographintensity_shapestext/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]