ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How is CC 2015? Bugs?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent TaylorHow is CC 2015? Bugs?
by on Jun 18, 2015 at 12:46:55 am

I'm looking forward to the update but wondering if I should finish my previous projects first. In the past, updating has sometimes caused problems when I bring in my working files from the previous version. How has it been for everyone?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: How is CC 2015? Bugs?
by on Jun 18, 2015 at 1:59:57 am

I've been moving back and forth between 13.2 and 13.5 without incident.

Because this update to Ae is still a 13.x release, the project files are compatible without the need to save down.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Claude RozsaRe: How is CC 2015? Bugs?
by on Jun 18, 2015 at 5:14:30 am

It is advised even by the Adobe moderators to always finish projects with the initial version used to prevent any unwanted surprise due to unforeseen bugs.

Return to posts index

JP PelcRe: How is CC 2015? Bugs?
by on Jun 18, 2015 at 2:36:48 pm

I certainly wouldn't upgrade until your project is finished. You never know what might be slightly changed in the new version that will have a huge effect on your final composite.

Return to posts index

wouter selRe: How is CC 2015? Bugs?
by on Jun 19, 2015 at 1:48:28 pm

it feels rather buggy to me - previews and cache handling seem choppy, audio playback stutters
(video card driver and audio driver are up to date)

Also experienced some plug ins that got left behind with the update;
the update took some but not all my 3rd party plug ins from cc2014 to cc2015

I wouldn't advise switching yet,
I'm thinking of moving my projects back to CC 2014.

Return to posts index

Nico JonesRe: How is CC 2015? Bugs?
by on Jun 23, 2015 at 2:53:09 pm

I've had no issues with CC2014 projects being broken in CC2015...but it's got some really fundamental bugs at the moment. Like the chap above, I've found the preview system to be pretty much unusable. And if i'm dragging keyframes around, they'll keep dragging even when I've rereleased the mouse. I'm sure it'll be great once they sort it out, but until then, it ain't great.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 23, 2015 at 3:26:11 pm

Here's a list of known issues with 13.5:

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Steven AndersonRe: How is CC 2015? Bugs?
by on Jul 3, 2015 at 2:57:58 pm

Major bug in AE 2015! If you are using Warp Stabilizer or Camera Tracker DO NOT INSTALL until the preview issues are resolved! These functions will cause your keyboard and mouse to become unresponsive and essentially lock-up!

Adobe's solution:
"Deleting those effects from the layer(s) will prevent the problem from occurring."

My response: *Face-palm*

Return to posts index

Tim KurkoskiRe: How is CC 2015? Bugs?
by on Jul 4, 2015 at 7:11:35 am

To be 100% clear, I did not include that statement as a solution for the problem, it was to illustrate that those effects specifically will cause the bug and that the bug doesn't occur when they are not present.

To dig a little deeper on the bug: what happens is that the Warp Stabilizer VFX and 3D Camera Tracker effects cause After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) to delay processing of mouse and keyboard input during frame renders. Input messages go into a queue which is being tied up waiting for those effects to respond. If you get stuck in this situation, I have found that quick and repeated inputs, such as clicking on a menu title or pressing the Esc key quickly and repeatedly, _may_ force the messages to the top of the queue.

If these two effects are a part of your workflow, the best workaround is for you to use After Effects CC 2014 (13.2) until we resolve the bug.

We do realize that this is a significant bug in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5), and have a fix for it (which I have personally tested) planned for the update we intend to release later this month.

Return to posts index

Allan HoustonRe: How is CC 2015? Bugs?
by on Jul 20, 2015 at 2:33:02 pm

Agree with the above posts.

The new big releases do tend to have bugs so a little restraint is required. DEFINITELY finish current projects.

I have completed a couple of small projects in Premiere 2015 without too much hassle but the biggest annoyance as the dynamic link between AE and PP. If you import an AE comp, sometimes it doesn't appear in the list of comps in a project in the import dialogue, so I had to export from AE and import the rendered mov or mp4, rather than "render and replace" on the timeline.

I think a few times the "replace with after effects comp" command created the comp in AE but in Premiere there was an error and I was left with the original clip so, again, I had to render from AE and import in PP.

A few other bugs were present but I can't remember the specifics. They were fairly small projects so I didn't get to give it a full Audio Editing workout etc. My current projects, I still have in 2014. I am excited to try out the new features like the morph transition in the future though as I edit a lot of talking heads!

AE comps seemed to play better directly on the PP timeline though (when I was able to import them or "replace with...").

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: How is CC 2015? Bugs?
by on Jul 28, 2015 at 6:38:30 am

The After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update is available, with many fixes to previews and more:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects product manager and curmudgeon
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Stephen ChristieRe: How is CC 2015? Bugs?
by on Jul 29, 2015 at 5:10:27 pm
Last Edited By Stephen Christie on Jul 29, 2015 at 5:16:41 pm

Agreed. I am very careful about not switching versions during a project, unless there is some absolute need, and even then backups are your friend. Our studio is still locked to 2014 until the patches solidify things.

Recently Adobe put out an update for Premiere 2014 (8.2), and once you opened your file in it, you couldn't open it again in a previous update (8.0.1), which can make sharing files or working on different machines tricky.

I hope reworking AE isn't similar to when Autodesk reworked 3DS Max 2012. It was greatly disliked (putting it mildly) and it took a couple of versions before the stability and performance got back to where people trusted it again. In the long run they really moved the app forward, but it had some growing pains. Hopefully AE's issues won't be as severe, but the slow "live" preview has me concerned.

Stephen Christie
Technical Lead, New Media
Tasc Studios | Tasc, Inc.

Return to posts index

Allan HoustonRe: How is CC 2015? Bugs?
by on Jul 29, 2015 at 5:22:37 pm

Updates for both Premiere and After Effects were release this week, so hopefully they cure some of the problems. I haven't checked them out yet.

Dividing 2014 into 2 versions without backwards compatibility between projects was a terrible idea. At least this version of AE produces projects that are compatible with the previous version. Premiere doesn't unfortunately.

I would like to make one point though. On another thread I have criticised Creative Cloud's horrible login issues but it must be said that there is an amount of responsibility one must take when new versions come out. Don't rush in. Test the waters first and try it out. It's the reason it took me a while to update to Mavericks and why I haven't updated to Yosemite yet. So just be sensible. Of course you shouldn't automatically switch to the new version when it comes out as you won't be able to go back to the previous version, without at worst losing some of that work, or at best having to fiddle around with an XML. There can be many befuddling problems with this new software, but the part you should be playing is to test things out, be wary and don't rush into a big change before you've got your projects finished and are confident the apps are stable.

Return to posts index

James HarfordRe: How is CC 2015? Bugs?
by on Aug 13, 2015 at 5:18:08 pm

To add to this thread.

AE CC 2015 is not ready for consumer market yet. IMO this should still be a BETA release.

I had the looping login problem. I phoned Adobe to help sort it, which they did - the operator took control of my machine and fixed the problem. That was great!

Then I realised that she had installed AE CC 2015 AND that it DELETES every other version I had on my machine. This is a catastrophic error. So be careful guys. CC 2014 was in my opinion unstable also. and CC 2015 is extremely buggy - it wont even let you see the progress on your render in the composition panel , as well as the staggering audio, terrible ram previews ( I get what you are trying to do and love the idea of a better ram preview, but this isnt ready) missing effects, hangin on every key frame movement and beach balling constantly. This is what I have found and I have only just installed it! It really makes me loose faith in Adobe. I was a die hard fan.. until every release since CS6 has gotten worse...

Why the constant need to bring out new versions? Just fix the old ones... Just my opinions, but many motion graphic friends agree.

I love you after effects, but I am loosing faith!

After effect used to be the best coded platform on the Adobe suite and I loved using it. Adobe if you are listening, please help the community by stabilizing a version before adding new features.

But getting send projects that dont open in older versions forces me to upgrade. It takes me so long to get my system up together with scripts and plugins and presents (yes it migrates alot now, but by the tim I have my system up and running a new version comes out.

I have creative cloud - but I cant use a CC 2014 file in CC without saving it down first?? ahhhhggg why?I have the license for both right?

I am considering buying a PC just to make the software I use stable - would this help?? Im not sure

I blame apple slightly for this as Yosemite really put a spanner in the works for Adobe.

Everything moving too fast!!

Return to posts index

Claude RozsaRe: How is CC 2015? Bugs?
by on Aug 13, 2015 at 5:40:52 pm

For nothing in the world will I use CC2015 in its present state. I've read here and on the adobe forums all the problems you guys had to face; I'm only an amateur in this field but there are limits for bugs even a non professional can accept from any software and any company in the world.

To pretend that this upgrade was seriously tested makes me laugh, but the victims of these huge loopholes must not laugh at all to see days after days of work torn to pieces because of such an irresponsible release. I'm really sorry for them.

Return to posts index

Rich MalmbergRe: How is CC 2015? Bugs?
by on Jan 21, 2016 at 7:28:46 am

I couldn't agree more. Adobe better watch out. black magic is right behind you.
If Fusion is usable people are going to start jumping ship. sorry, huge fan of after effects (since version 3) but not since 2015 came out. Adobe missed the boat with Speedgrade too. It's a buggy
Mess. Resolve is amazingly stable. Does anyone rigorously use these programs and test them? I don't think
so. At least not with enough different machines codecs and plug-ins. To be fair they have their hands full with a huge number of variables. But they should not release these new versions until they are tested or with release them with caveats .
Instead, Just sign people up with the promise and take their money. It doesn't matter if it actually works because most people don't actually do this for a living anyway. Sent from my iPhone, sorry about the bad formatting. Thank God I'm not coding for Adobe!

Return to posts index

John SchaubRe: How is CC 2015? Bugs?
by on Jul 27, 2016 at 9:33:14 pm

After Effects used to be so stable. It was the most stable program I used, it hardly ever crashed, and when it did it was so nice and saved first.

NOW, it is by far the most buggy program I own. The lack of multi-processing kills me. The ram preview bugs slow down all my work. Whenever I render, the render queue tab is pushed to the background and I loose the ability to cancel the render until it's done. Audio previews don't work correctly. Play from current position in the timeline is totally broken. I am sure there are a few more that drive me nuts daily....

I really expect more stability from a subscription service. Get your act together Adobe.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 27, 2016 at 9:36:31 pm

File your bug reports -- that's the best way to let Adobe know what isn't working.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved