ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

A Friendly Updating Reminder for those new to AE, or not especially computer-savvy

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave LaRonde
A Friendly Updating Reminder for those new to AE, or not especially computer-savvy
on Jun 17, 2015 at 7:47:00 pm

If you're in the middle of a project, DO NOT UPDATE TO THE SHINY NEW AE 2015.

The reasons: any new update from any software developer is bound to have problems. There will be new ways of doing things. You don't need these time-sucks in the middle of a project. Wait until the project is done, approved and delivered.

THEN do the update... when you have the time to do the update slowly, deliberately, checking all details.... when you have the time to troubleshoot if necessary... and you have time to futz with the new stuff.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: A Friendly Updating Reminder for those new to AE, or not especially computer-savvy
on Jun 17, 2015 at 8:30:41 pm
Last Edited By Todd Kopriva on Jun 17, 2015 at 8:31:23 pm

I don't think that that is the right advice.

Installing the new version doesn't disturb the old version in any way, as long as you disable the Remove Old Versions option when you install the new version.

I think that you should download the new version and use it, while keeping the previous version around and finishing your current projects with the version on which you started them.

Report bugs.

We will be releasing a bug-fix update in July to address the high-priority bugs that we know about now (plus others that you report to us ASAP, which is why we need you to try it now). Among the bugs that we know that we are fixing are a few that affect third-party effect plug-ins, a couple that affect audio preview, and some regarding preview behaviors.

Personally, I use the current version without needing to go back to After Effects CC 2014 (13.2), but I do miss two of the features that we had to leave behind for now (preview of frame currently being renderer in render queue and Save Current Preview command).

The new expression error handling alone is HUGE, and I would never want to go back because of this feature alone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects product manager and curmudgeon
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: A Friendly Updating Reminder for those new to AE, or not especially computer-savvy
on Jun 17, 2015 at 8:38:56 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "The new expression error handling alone is HUGE, and I would never want to go back because of this feature alone."

It really is a massive improvement. And I love the uninterrupted preview too.

Seriously, get the new version, but don't let CC delete the old one. Use the new one as much as you can and, if you run into problems, file bugs and drop to the old one if you have to.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Jun 17, 2015 at 8:46:37 pm

[Michael Szalapski] "Use the new one as much as you can and, if you run into problems, file bugs and drop to the old one if you have to."

Unfortunately, if you are on Day 5 of editing with the new version, and discover a project crippling bug, as many did with 2014, you can't just 'drop to the old one'. You lose 5 days of work, and Adobe will NOT reimburse you.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 17, 2015 at 9:00:45 pm

A big difference between then and now is that the project files are able to be opened in both versions without any weird "save as" rigmarole.
So, if people are using correct auto-save, and incremental saving practices, there should be no issues working in the new version.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Jun 17, 2015 at 9:39:25 pm

So you can open 2015 projects in 2014? That's new - and huge! Why haven't they mentioned it?

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
Steve Brame

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 17, 2015 at 9:44:38 pm

> So you can open 2015 projects in 2014? That's new - and huge! Why haven't they mentioned it?

We have, in many articles. Such as here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2015/06/keeping-previous-versions-insta...

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Claude Rozsa
on Jun 18, 2015 at 5:19:07 am

Hi, I completely agree with your advices and always do so. Until my actual Pompeii project is completed i wont use the new upgrade wich I did keep the previous one on.
thanks
Claude

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 17, 2015 at 10:05:46 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jun 18, 2015 at 12:23:51 am

[Todd Kopriva]: "I Don't think that is the right advice"

Gotta disagree with you on that point, Todd. It has NEVER been wise to update in the middle of a project, and it isn't wise now. You never really know what's going to happen. The software developer may promise one thing, but is that what YOU'RE going to get? You flat-out don't know, and I don't think it's a good idea to put a project's completion at risk just for a couple of nice new things.

I might be swayed by the argument that you can install the new apps and not disturb the old ones... if the latest CC update didn't default to deleting the old apps upon installation. You have to consciously un-check the box. You have to be LOOKING for the box in the first place! How is that helpful to the user?

To my way of thinking it's like encountering a bad bump in the road, then seeing a sign saying, "You just drove over a bad bump". Now, Adobe COULD have put a simple statement with the installer: "If you wish, CC 2015 will delete your older Creative Cloud applications. Go to the advanced settings for it."

Nope! Didn't happen that way. It got CONCEALED. On purpose, I suspect. To what purpose? I have my suspicions. And it sort of invalidates your statement that you can keep the old apps. It's no longer a no-brainer to keep them. You have to look around to un-check a box to keep them. You have to be careful.

It's sneaky. Verging on the deceptive.

Read what I wrote again. I didn't say "postpone forever", I said "postpone until you have the time to be careful about what you do".

Incidentally, what genius decided it was a good idea to default that box to already-checked?

I get the feeling it wasn't anyone in Seattle, but in San Jose.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

JP Pelc
on Jun 18, 2015 at 2:42:16 pm

I must say, I wish the "disable remove old versions option" was much more hard to miss in the desktop up. I thought CC defaulted to keeping the old version, so when I upgraded to CC 2015 I lost all my scripts. No I have to re-download and install. Not a huge problem, but a pain nonetheless

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jun 17, 2015 at 8:43:16 pm

The quicker we update, discover what the bugs are, and report them, the quicker the issue gets solved for all.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Jun 17, 2015 at 10:03:28 pm

Very nice! That article was from only 2 days ago, and looks like it's solely about the ability to retain previous CC versions when upgrading. Weird that there was no mention of this feature back in your April blog post Todd, and I never heard a word about it from NAB. But, I'm more into Premiere than AE, so maybe I just wasn't listening at the right moment.

At any rate...kudos! That's a great feature, and sorely needed.

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 17, 2015 at 10:04:15 pm

Note that this is true for After Effects but not Premiere Pro.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Claude Rozsa
on Jun 18, 2015 at 3:13:43 pm

Do you mean Todd that the option to keep the old version is only given for AE? Why in this case are all my previous versions still accessible and functioning after a full install of all the products I use and unchecking the delete option before the installation?

Anyway I agree with Dave, one cannot be totally sure of kind of upgrade or update.
And as for the place where the advance settings is made it would have been much wiser to declare it as a header of the installation page in the form "Do you want to keep or not the old versions? answer by Y or N".

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 18, 2015 at 3:15:10 pm

I was responding to Steve about the projects being the same between versions.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]