ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CC 2015 Previews Not Real Time

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Roughan
CC 2015 Previews Not Real Time
on Jun 17, 2015 at 9:37:30 am

Hi everyone.
After installing CC 2015, my previews are no longer in real time. Even as low as 4-5 frames per second.
I have a Z820 workstation with 64 gig ram , and an nvidia quadro 6000 plus a tesla GPU. That should be enough for 1 HD layer with no effects. It was before.
Premiere is slow as well. A second video layer, and even though the line in the sequence is yellow, it wont play in real time.
I would go and ask on the Adobe Community, but the AE forum has been hacked.
Anyone else having these problems? I might have to downgrade again....
Simon.
PS I have installed the latest nVidia drivers...

You know I'm born to lose, and gambling is for fools, but that's the way I like it, baby. I don't want to live forever!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: CC 2015 Previews Not Real Time
on Jun 17, 2015 at 1:45:05 pm

Previewing behavior in Ae CC 2015 has changed, and Ae is still not designed with real-time in mind.

Just so I can understand where you're coming from, what did you do before on CC 2014 and what did you get when you did it, and what are you doing now on CC 2015?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Simon Roughan
on Jun 17, 2015 at 2:03:13 pm

Thx for the reply.
I just want to see a simple "RAM Preview". Before, you pushed the 0 on the numbers keyboard, it renders frames into the ram cache, then when its finished it plays back in real time.
Now, it loads the frames, the line on the comp is green, but it wont play back in real time, only sometimes 4, 10, maybe 15 frames per second. Audio previews are ok. Just video doesnt work.
I understand AE is not "real-time", I have been using it commercially for many years. But RAM Previews should be...
Adobe CC has 50 Gigs of RAM allocated, and nothing else is open. OPEN GL and CUDA are recognised by the software.
Any ideas?
Simon

You know I'm born to lose, and gambling is for fools, but that's the way I like it, baby. I don't want to live forever!

Return to posts index

lee oneway
on Jun 17, 2015 at 2:54:19 pm

Hey, the first thing i noticed after updating to 2015 was that the RAMPreview did not stop by clicking somewhere in AE (which it did before). In order to recreate your problem, i quickly generated a testscene with a lot of DOF, which usually takes a lot of time to render. As before "2015" the first run was slow, not realtime in order to render the frames into RAM. But as long as i did not change anything, it ran in realtime during the second runthrough. When i change something during RAMPreview (which was not possible before), AE needed to calculate again, resulting in a slow playback again.

Only sometimes i noticed the RamPreview not running in realtime during the second (or third) runthrough, although i did not change anything...

cheers,
kws

Return to posts index

Alexander Weil
on Jun 18, 2015 at 1:45:46 pm

I got the same problem over here. my bigger problem is, when i hit the Ram-Preview key it start the preview and i am unable to abort this. i have to wait till after effects finished calculating.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 18, 2015 at 2:09:56 pm

Preview has changed a lot in 13.5. If you haven't seen this already, please read this Adobe blog post:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2015/06/previews-in-after-effects-cc-20...

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Alexander Weil
on Jun 18, 2015 at 3:29:06 pm

there is a part thats called "stop a preview" that says: press pad0, space, shift + pad0 or Esc ... none of these stops it. the only thing that stops the preview is clicking wildly around the time indicator in the composition panel/timeline

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 18, 2015 at 4:16:44 pm

File a bug report. There is an update coming in July to fix these kinds of important bugs.

In the meantime, try messing with the preview settings and preferences. Some of these odd quirks have been circumvented by tweaking a setting here or there. If you find something that works, be sure to amend that to your bug report.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 18, 2015 at 4:38:11 pm

This forum post [link] over at the Adobe forums has a suggestion that may work.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Matthew Lynn
on Dec 11, 2015 at 5:22:51 pm

that is not an acceptable answer. "after effects is not designed for real time" is ridiculous. i've been using after effects for years and years, and the "RAM" preview function has always been able to handle real-time playback (maybe with some long renders and setting tweaks). the new 2015 updates SUCK, and adobe should be ashamed for releasing such crap software. on a system that is built to fly, i've been ram previewing just fine, not all of a sudden i'm getting about 18fps from a 24fps timeline. this is not hardware related, and it's not project file related, it's adobe, they broke their software.

now you can't choose to ram preview and skip frames, at alt resolutions, etc. why would adobe dumb down a tool that was working well? i want my money back. this really pisses me off.

Matthew T. Lynn
VFX/ANIMATION/EDITING

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 15, 2015 at 2:23:16 am

[Matthew Lynn] "that is not an acceptable answer. "after effects is not designed for real time" is ridiculous. i've been using after effects for years and years, and the "RAM" preview function has always been able to handle real-time playback (maybe with some long renders and setting tweaks). "

You took what I said out of context. I have been using Ae for years and years, too, but it's just not a real-time system. Pretty much everything has to be rendered before it can play back.

[Matthew Lynn] "now you can't choose to ram preview and skip frames, at alt resolutions, etc. why would adobe dumb down a tool that was working well?"

Ae is in a period of huge transition right now. See this thread for some discussion here on what Adobe is actually up to:
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/378/11437

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Joseph Urso
on Jun 22, 2015 at 5:23:23 am

I'm having the same problem. Realtime RAM Preview does not work 99% of the time on CC 2015. I have the latest NVIDIA drivers, 40 GB RAM, 3 GB video card, 24 core MacPro. Even with the simplest of comps it is glitchy.I can go over the same section 10 times and cannot get a realtime RAM preview (24 fps) for more than a few frames before the framerate starts dropping down. Unfortunately, the installer automatically deleted CC2104 or I would go back to using that. I had to spend about two extra hour on a project yesterday because of this bug.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 22, 2015 at 1:49:49 pm

[Joseph Urso] "Unfortunately, the installer automatically deleted CC2104 or I would go back to using that."

For future releases of CC, remember, you can choose to NOT remove the old versions when you install new ones. See this Adobe link: http://adobe.ly/1MQ48cW

If you've accidentally removed your old versions and need to go back to CC 2014 until the bug fix update for CC 2015 comes out next month, check out this link for installing old versions: http://blogs.adobe.com/adobecare/2015/06/16/how-to-find-and-install-previou...

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Joseph Urso
on Jun 22, 2015 at 1:54:13 pm

Thanks, but since your message said that a bug fix update is coming out next month I'll just wait for that. I'm going on vacation next week anyway!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 3, 2016 at 6:29:57 pm

[Joseph Urso] "Thanks, but since your message said that a bug fix update is coming out next month I'll just wait for that. I'm going on vacation next week anyway!"

Yeah, well, don't expect everything to be all duckies and bunnies when you return.

A lot of people who have gotten the recent version of AE to work properly 1) could qualify for any company's IT department.... or 2) got lucky.

Many people are neither.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joseph Urso
on Aug 3, 2015 at 3:43:34 pm

After my original post about the horrible live preview in CC2015 I went on vacation for most of July. When I got back the first thing I did was update all my Adobe apps and I must say that the After Effects live preview is MUCH better now! It is actually usable. I haven't had a single buffering/preview problem since.

Return to posts index

Brent Taylor
on Jun 22, 2015 at 4:00:16 pm

Yeah the new RAM preview is brutal over here, too. It might be a bit faster loading in the first place but getting a smooth playback after it's done is very unreliable.

I just got a new machine at home and so I'm not sure if I could even install the old version if I tried. :( This is one of the really annoying drawbacks of CC.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 22, 2015 at 4:47:12 pm

[Brent Taylor] "I just got a new machine at home and so I'm not sure if I could even install the old version if I tried. :( This is one of the really annoying drawbacks of CC."

You can install every version going back to CS6 with your CC account, even on a new machine.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 22, 2015 at 5:58:24 pm

[Brent Taylor] " I'm not sure if I could even install the old version if I tried. :( This is one of the really annoying drawbacks of CC."

Have I got some good news for you! As Walter points out, you can install not only the current and previous versions, but every version all the way back to (and including) CS6. Your imagined drawback is non-existent and is, in fact, one of the great joys about the CC model!

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Brent Taylor
on Jun 22, 2015 at 6:51:12 pm

I didn't realize that. I rescind my previous complaint. I knew you could roll back one version when there was an update but I thought it only applied if it was one you had recently. Good to know. Thanks guys. :)

Return to posts index

Tom Manion
on Jun 23, 2015 at 2:20:13 pm

I also am experience poor preview performance after installing CC-2015. My project is 1920x1080 HD with only graphical elements. While I see the green indicator bar render (like the CS6 RAM preview of old) I get black, vertical lines in the timeline window that correspond with a "Not Realtime" warning and broken audio. If the spot cycles (repeat playback) it actually gets worse. I have upgraded my NVIDIA and Blackmagic drivers. I have gone through all the preference and memory settings. I have tried different dpi settings for the pictures. I have forced the vector-art to RGB, I have degraded the frame rate and resolution on the preview playback settings and I still am getting poor performance on these previews. When I open projects in both CC-2015 and CS6, the CS6 RAM preview works fine. I am sorry this post doesn't help you with your problem, but I wanted to see if others are also experiencing difficulties with the new "RAM Preview is dead, long live Preview".

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 23, 2015 at 7:37:41 pm

Be sure to read the known issues article: https://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2015/06/known-issues-in-after-effects-...

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Uwe Kreuzahler
on Jun 28, 2015 at 7:56:43 pm

I wished i had read the "What's New" part a bit more carefully. Right now AE CC2015 is basically useless. How do the guys at Adobe think to create a project without roper preview????

In my opinion, so far has the update to CC2015 become a HUGE downgrade

Hopefully do they get this fixed very soon!!!

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Jul 3, 2015 at 1:31:41 am

Same boat here. Just upgraded, and RAM previews are gone, replaced with something called "Live Preview". Its about 10 times slower. Just trying to playback 1 HD stream goes at like 2-3 frames a second......

The drop of the render preview as well, is a ridiculous idea, I used to like seeing what was rendering so I could see what was creating huge slow downs...

And everyone else says they never used it.... but brainstorm is gone, and I used to like using that feature with fractal noise, tritone and blurs, to see what might be a nice starting point for a background plate. Totally bummed that feature is gone too. I mean, why get rid of it...... that done all the hard work of writing it. Could of at least just moved it to a menu item, if they wanted to move it off the workspace....

Mac Pro 2.4Ghz 8 core, 24GB RAM, GTX 670

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 7, 2015 at 1:39:36 pm

[Craig Ricker] "The drop of the render preview as well, is a ridiculous idea, I"

They plan to bring that functionality in an update to CC 2015. Remember, CC 2015 is a MAJOR rewrite of the core code that makes AE run. They're going one step at a time.
They talk about things not present in CC 2015 and a bit about the future in this blog post: http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2015/06/features-not-available-in-after...

[Craig Ricker] "And everyone else says they never used it.... but brainstorm is gone, and I used to like using that feature..."

You can still use it, simply open your project in CC 2014, use Brainstorm to get what you want, save it, then open the project again in CC 2015.

[Craig Ricker] "why get rid of it...... that done all the hard work of writing it. Could of at least just moved it to a menu item, if they wanted to move it off the workspace...."

It's not that simple. The core of AE is being rewritten and Brainstorm wasn't compatible with the new framework. It seems like it wasn't used enough for them to spend the time to rewrite it to work in the new system.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Mandy Karlowski
on Jul 23, 2015 at 7:57:00 am

Hey Simon, I am facing the same issue! You are not alone.
What also really drives me nuts is the fact, that when you have your time indicator let's say on the first frame and the next two seconds are already rendered, I could'nt find a way to render past the second second before the preview actually starts. I hope you could understand what I mean^^

Return to posts index

Dale Sandberg
on Jul 27, 2015 at 10:18:54 pm

The biggest issue that I have not seen addressed here is the Live Preview does not use the GPU at all. It only uses the CPU which is frustrating to have a card with 6GB of VRAM and not being able to use it to obtain realtime playback. At first I was excited about Live Preview because I thought it would be more like Premiere Pro where you can layer multiple tracks and play it all back in real time with a workstation card such as the Quadro 4000 or FirePro d700. But in reality its like stop motion animation. Only after you render it (not preview it) can you actually see what your results are. We should all post to the Adobe Forums that we want GPU accelerated Live Preview in hopes that they will add this feature in an update.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 28, 2015 at 3:03:32 am

Posting in the Adobe forums won't be as useful as filing feature requests! They actually track feature requests. Posts in the user-to-user forums don't get tracked.

Be sure you specify in as much detail as possible how you would like it to work. If you were paying attention to Apple's latest WWDC, there was an Adobe demo showing GPU-accelerated effects using Apple's Metal. Adobe has said in other places that they are exploring options for using the GPU in the future.

AE has always been CPU-based, the only thing it's ever used the GPU for was the short-lived ray-traced renderer and, of course, third-party plugins like Element, ShapeShifter, and 3d Invigorator.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Dale Sandberg
on Jul 28, 2015 at 6:36:43 pm

I just submitted a request. Perhaps if enough people do they will make it a priority.

Return to posts index

Sheryl Chung
on Aug 3, 2015 at 5:59:30 am

The preview speed is horrible in CC 2015.0.1 (updated version). It used to be a lot faster in CS6 and 2014. Isn't the new versions suppose to be better and faster? Why is after effects flying backwards? :(

Element 3D preview and render causes the after effects to crash. The same project on the similar machine using CS6 performs well. (No crashes)

I've already reported the bug. Hope it will be fixed in the next update.

Freelance Creative Director

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
on Aug 3, 2015 at 2:01:02 pm

Simon, I didn't read through all the answers... so I'm sorry if this has been adressed already.

---------------------

MAybe the cause is VERY simple... did you check if your quadro and the Tesla are in fact ENABLED after installing CC15.
I am using a Nvidia GTX 780Ti with an insanely high CUDA performance. But it shows up as unsupported.
I first had to manually enable it at
PREFERENCES> PREVIEWS> GPU INFORMATION > CHECK! Enable untested, unsupported GPU.

This might help!

Return to posts index

Mandy Karlowski
on Aug 3, 2015 at 2:18:10 pm

woooaaah! Thank you man!
Actually it was tunred off in my case!
Really hope that rendering gets better now.
Thank you so much.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 3, 2015 at 3:20:15 pm

[Marc Nibor] "MAybe the cause is VERY simple... did you check if your quadro and the Tesla are in fact ENABLED after installing CC15."

[Mandy Karlowski] "woooaaah! Thank you man! Actually it was tunred off in my case! Really hope that rendering gets better now. Thank you so much."

The only thing that's natively accelerated by CUDA in After Effects is the ray-tracing renderer.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 3, 2015 at 3:18:45 pm

[Sheryl Chung] "The preview speed is horrible in CC 2015.0.1 (updated version). It used to be a lot faster in CS6 and 2014. Isn't the new versions suppose to be better and faster? Why is after effects flying backwards? :( "

The Ae team is doing a lot of work to modernize After Effects. For Ae CC 2015, rendering has been separated from the UI for the first time. This required major re-architecture work, so it's not the normal incremental improvement we've seen in the past.

If you're seeing things that aren't working, please be sure to file bug reports and feature requests [link].

[Sheryl Chung] "Element 3D preview and render causes the after effects to crash. The same project on the similar machine using CS6 performs well. (No crashes) "

Element 3D requires an update for compatibility with CC 2015:

https://www.videocopilot.net/products/updates2015/

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Mike Moon
on Aug 3, 2015 at 8:51:54 pm
Last Edited By Mike Moon on Aug 3, 2015 at 10:22:54 pm

Can you tell me if there is a setting that can disable the auto update in the view port? I don't need to see the video pre-rendering. I just want to hit "0" and see the bar in the timeline grow and hit "0" again to watch it. But the audio updating with the video is highly annoying. Also where can I re-download AE CC 2014?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Aug 10, 2015 at 2:36:49 pm

[Mike Moon] "Can you tell me if there is a setting that can disable the auto update in the view port? I don't need to see the video pre-rendering. I just want to hit "0" and see the bar in the timeline grow and hit "0" again to watch it. But the audio updating with the video is highly annoying. Also where can I re-download AE CC 2014?"

This page explains the new preview system: http://adobe.ly/1MYbhYT

This page explains how to download CC 2014 (or CC or CS6, for that matter): http://blogs.adobe.com/adobecare/2015/06/16/how-to-find-and-install-previou...

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Rob Mize
on Aug 18, 2015 at 8:18:28 pm

I made the mistake of starting a new project in AE 2015. Encountered the unbelievably slow user interface and eventually decided to go back to 2014 and start over. I'm not sure I can use a product that won't allow me to try various looks, approaches and techniques if I have to wait :30 secs to see a single frame of the results. Same thing happens just moving along the timeline. It seems as AE moves forward I have to stay behind to get my work done.
I'm using a new Mac Pro, 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1867 Mhz with an AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB graphics card.

Rob Mize

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Aug 18, 2015 at 8:23:57 pm

You don't need to start over. CC 2014 opens files created in CC 2015

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Mike Moon
on Aug 21, 2015 at 7:47:44 pm

The pre-render is abysmal in AE 2015. Sometimes I will hit pre-render, wait a while and hit it again and it won't play what's already been buffered. So I have to do it again and only then will it play. It's absolutely terrible what they've done to AE. I simply won't use it. I get the fact that there are new features with this version of AE but they messed with things that didn't need fixing.

Return to posts index

Ethron Young
on Oct 14, 2015 at 10:12:07 am

Agreed! Ram preview worked perfectly every time in old versions. I never had to wonder if maybe this time I'd get to see a preview uninterrupted and real time. Even with the bug fix update 13.51.48 I'm still experiencing terrible previews, no matter how many times I play the same green spot on the timeline, or how absolutely still I am not to even move the mouse for fear it will have to think about anything but the preview, nothing is ever real time and I can't confidently gauge my work - heck, I can't even stop it to the beat of audio to make adjustments at an appropriate time because start and stop are delayed. Honestly. Worst mistake ever in this software.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Oct 14, 2015 at 3:00:15 pm

[Ethron Young] " Worst mistake ever in this software."

I would argue that it's not a mistake, but that it's just some stumbling first steps. Maybe CC 2015 shouldn't be seen as an update to AE as much as a public beta where they're beginning to implement some new behavior. In this case, the renderer and UI are running separately from one another. For many people (me included), the new previewing system works pretty well and I prefer to work with it. It's much snappier!
For other folks though, it doesn't work well.
Now, there's going to be an update this autumn that is meant to fix a ton of bugs and I would be willing to bet that it will make CC 2015 useable for many folks who can't use it now.

In the meantime, if it doesn't work for you, use CC 2014 or CC. (Or, heck, CS6 if you need to!) Creative Cloud gives you access to all the old versions if you need to hop back to get your work done.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Nov 3, 2015 at 12:44:10 am

[Michael Szalapski] "For many people (me included), the new previewing system works pretty well and I prefer to work with it. It's much snappier!"

Just getting started with CC 2015, but I agree. I'm really encouraged by the fact that I can begin a preview render and see results quickly, while it renders the back end of the work area selection as it plays.

The audio stutters and spits sometimes, but the end result is that I get MUCH faster feedback

Return to posts index

Matthew Lynn
on Dec 11, 2015 at 5:25:06 pm

anyone know of any fixes on their way for this? or how far back i need to go with versions of after effects to get ram preview to work again?

i'm very very tech savvy, and i don't believe i'm overlooking something here. ram preview was working, now it's not, and the only change is adobe's updates.

Adobe, SHAME ON YOU.

Matthew T. Lynn
VFX/ANIMATION/EDITING

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 15, 2015 at 2:24:04 am

[Matthew Lynn] "anyone know of any fixes on their way for this? or how far back i need to go with versions of after effects to get ram preview to work again?"

Ae CC 2014 13.2 was the last version before the new preview system.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 15, 2015 at 2:36:25 am

[Walter Soyka] "Ae CC 2014 13.2 was the last version before the new preview system."

And Ae CC 2015's project files are perfectly compatible with Ae CC 2014. I usually work in 2015, then render in 2014 so I can exploit the old multiprocessing feature.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jeroen Beltman
on Jun 3, 2016 at 11:04:10 am

You can install After Effects CC14 and before from the Adobe Creative Cloud Application Installer Software. See this video: 10148_creativecloud362016125538.mp4.zip

Return to posts index

Christopher Yin
on Oct 22, 2015 at 6:43:02 am

As I have been trolling this subject for months I just discovered and have been using Throttle-n-Purge & BG Renderer scripts and I can see a huge difference in performance and on my multicore usage in 32-Bit full preview, not realtime but 24/29.9fps. It was the performance I have been waiting for with the new mac pro.

3.5 6core
FirePro D700
128 Ram
1TB Internal SSD
4TB SSD Das drive
1TB SSD Cache drive
All Thunderbolt 2

Christopher Yin
Fluid5Design LLC
http://www.fluid5design.com
info@fluid5design.com

Return to posts index

ümit kivanç
on Jan 21, 2016 at 10:30:34 pm

Hi,
My workaround is: Toggle on-off the video output.
- Go to Prefs > Video preview
- Uncheck "Enable Mercury Transmit"
=> Preview is realtime
If you need realtime preview, you don't have output to the video monitor.
If you need to see your colors etc. on the video monitor, press "/" on numeric pad to get video output. "/" toggles the video output on and off.
It works. A kind of...
Hope this helps anyone until we get a real solution.

Return to posts index

Steve Kurtas
on Feb 5, 2016 at 8:54:46 pm

So I think I have figured out a solution to the terrible preview playback frame rate of aftereffects 2015.
Step 1: Press the 0 button to preview your highlighted section.
Step 2: The KEY is that you must not see the timeline slider moving through time in your layers panel. If you can see the time line moving, aftereffects will play back slowly. If you zoom in to a different part of your comp (so you can't see the time line moving) or maximize the comp preview window (by pressing the tilde key) aftereffects will play back at full frame rate.

I am running a new iMac with good specs. But I hope this applies to others. I couldn't even play a sound file on my mac without the frame rate dropping to half speed. That is when I figured out that if I couldn't see the timeline moving it would play smooth. The ram preview works exactly as it did in previous versions when pressing the 0 key. You just have to avoid seeing the time line slider move. Hopefully this glitch will be fixed by adobe. It seems like a really easy thing to fix.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 6, 2016 at 4:37:40 pm

According to Adobe, the next update of AE is targeted to fix the El Capitan realtime preview issue.

Todd from Adobe explains the issue, the workaround, and talks about the fix here. https://forums.adobe.com/message/8440047#8440047

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Brett Underhill
on Feb 26, 2016 at 9:51:13 pm

"The KEY is that you must not see the timeline slider moving through time in your layers panel. "

Whoa, that worked. A little annoying to have to do for every preview, but this was driving me nuts. I had decided to wait to upgrade to 2015 and El Capitan, only to find this glaring bug was still there. I mean, what good is "real time" preview if it never plays it in real time? I never minded waiting for the RAM preview to load as long as it played the render area close to the right speed.

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on Mar 3, 2016 at 9:32:50 pm

wow. this worked for me too. so frustrating seeing the usability of the software go backwards. It doesn't really matter to me what the core of the software is based on, if they have to re-write it or what. The key is that for the people using the product, the usability of it diminished. Its like Tesla updating the firmware in their cars and telling you "hey, now you can accelerate a bit faster, and the radio works better, but you can't turn left anymore."

The fact that the only factor in whether it works or not is if the CTI is visible or not most likely is a bug. I've reported it, and here's hoping that they clear that one up fast. Its really changed my workflow for syncing animations to audio, and not for the better.

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

Tiran Athukorala
on Mar 29, 2016 at 12:31:57 am

Yes, Under preview settings tick Full Screen box. That way you can have a realtime preview always..
Good luck

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 29, 2016 at 12:49:41 am

A much simpler workaround is to dock a panel underneath your timeline. It can really be any panel and it can be shrunk really small.

An even easier workaround is to update AE to version 13.7.1 which works around this issue. (Don't do the update if you work with .r3d files until you copy certain things first - see this thread [link].)

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Dennis Schmitz
on Mar 30, 2016 at 9:24:23 am

Never had this problem (exactly this problem actually) in Windows until the latest bug fix update... Whoa!

I can't playback realtime anymore since this update (13.7.1) until I zoom into a place where the cursor isn't visible...

Return to posts index

Jared Young
on May 12, 2016 at 3:04:45 pm

[Michael Szalapski] "A much simpler workaround is to dock a panel underneath your timeline. It can really be any panel and it can be shrunk really small."

This fixed it for me.

I came back to a project that didn't playback well and my render queue was underneath my timeline. Now playback was fine, even by just hitting the spacebar. After closing the render queue it went back to a poor framerate even after caching. I put the render queue back underneath and it plays fine again.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on May 12, 2016 at 5:37:48 pm

Jared, what version of AE are you running? This issue was meant to be fixed for Macs in an update. The latest CC 2015 for Mac is 13.7.2.x

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Jared Young
on May 23, 2016 at 6:31:47 pm

Michael, thanks for your reply. Looks like I hadn't even checked to see if there was an update. I was on 13.6.x and after updating to 13.7.2.3 it's working as it should be without having a window beneath the timeline.

Return to posts index

Till Koenig
on Oct 12, 2016 at 12:05:30 pm

Thanks Jared Young! This fixed it for me!
This Software getting stranger to me every day.

Return to posts index

Cole Christine
on Sep 24, 2016 at 5:55:08 am

AE 13.8.1.38
OSX 10.10.5

Same issue as many above. I currently am editing 600fps footage interpreted as 60fps. No effects and a single WAV audio track. During Preview, audio stutters and changes pitch. "Cache Before Playback" is checked. By checking "Mute Audio When Preview Is Not Real-time" audio cuts out during preview. It's evident Preview is not playing back at real-time when cached.

Workarounds:
1) Using Tilde to maximize the composition window resolved the issue.
2) Checking "Fullscreen" in the Preview window resolved this issue.

These workarounds don't apply to a Standard workspace layout. Apparently a bug fix was issued in 13.7, but did this address the bug in OSes prior to El Capitan?

Return to posts index

Cole Christine
on Sep 24, 2016 at 6:14:26 am

As an update, experimenting with the composition frame-rate seemed to help. 53FPS and above caused audio lag during Preview, but 52FPS and below did not. Raising composition FPS increased the amount of audio lag during preview, with severe audio pitch drops to compensate for lower rates of playback. It seems pretty clear that even with 13.8, AE still experiences the audio lag bug on older operating systems.

Return to posts index

miki kada
on Aug 3, 2016 at 6:12:51 am

YES!! It works!! So, this is a bug!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]