ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Motion Track One Layer to Another Using Mask Tracking

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hirum HorkwellerMotion Track One Layer to Another Using Mask Tracking
by on Jun 16, 2015 at 8:59:51 pm

Hi guys, I am stumped and hoping that one of you geniuses can help get me going again.

I have a shot of three women looking toward the camera. One of the women has a smile that I need to get rid of. I want to do this by taking a similar take where she is not smiling and comping the not-smiling face over the smiling face in the take I want to use. Essentially this would be easy for me but she is slowly moving her head in the shot, so I need to motion track that movement and make sure the new plate I'm comping in (not smiling face) moves with it. Still, quite simple for me to do, under normal circumstances, but for some reason when I motion track the shot the tracker just bounces all over the place, no matter where I put it.

So I've decided to draw a mask around her face and motion track the path, which works perfectly. The problem is that when I try and copy and paste the Mask Path keyframes onto another layer (or null object, etc) I get this crazy circular motion and the object just dances all over the place. (I don't know how to track a layer to another layer's Mask Path, but this would be the easiest way if it's possible.)

I've been trying so hard to get this to work but without just slipping all the keyframes by hand I'm stumped. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

- H

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved