ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

camera backs up, goes through wire fence with no cut. is this effect possible?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
costin becheanucamera backs up, goes through wire fence with no cut. is this effect possible?
by on Jun 11, 2015 at 3:10:18 pm

Hello,

I have no idea how to do this but I really want to achieve it. Camera operator will walk backwards capturing the subject running towards the camera.

And at one point camera has to back up through a wired fence of some sort,
which is a gate. And as the subject approaches the same gate, he will open it and the shot continues.

Is it possible to achieve this but with one take? With effects? My camera is a dslr. Using a gopro camera to do it is probably easy but I don't have the professional go pro. I have hero 2. It just doesn't look good. I think.

Thank you guys very much!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: camera backs up, goes through wire fence with no cut. is this effect possible?
by on Jun 11, 2015 at 3:59:35 pm

You would need to shoot it twice and as smoothly as possible, and it's still going to take a ton of post work, and no guarantee it's going to work 100%.
Shot 1, you shoot it with the gate open & no talent and shoot the entire sequence.

Shot 2: Close the gate, and cam op having already gone past the gate, now you shoot the talent coming up, opening the gate, moving through. Don't change focal length, iris...and hope your lighting is nearly spot on identical. Clouds can really screw this up.

Now the hard part, you have to composite these shots together seamlessly, & most of that will be achieved by motion tracking the 2 shots together and masking the gate & talent into the first shot(it will help if you have solid edges to use, like the gate).

Here's a tutorial to a very similar technique.

So before you embark on it, do some testing and ask yourself "is this shot so important, or couldn't I just show the action from one side of the fence"

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

costin becheanuRe: camera backs up, goes through wire fence with no cut. is this effect possible?
by on Jun 11, 2015 at 5:27:56 pm

Thank you John Cuevas. The solution you provided is what I will do I think. But I will also consider photogrammetry (which I just discovered) to reproduce the gate as cg and just add it in, while person just mimics opening it. But I'm way over my head on this idea. Your solution is possibly the way to go. Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: camera backs up, goes through wire fence with no cut. is this effect possible?
by on Jun 12, 2015 at 12:45:30 pm

Down the road, if you need more help or just want to show off, post the final composite. I'd be interested in seeing it.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

costin becheanuRe: camera backs up, goes through wire fence with no cut. is this effect possible?
by on Jun 12, 2015 at 2:33:39 pm

It's going to be a while. But I think posting it here is a great idea. Your input would be of great value. Thank you!

Return to posts index

by on May 5, 2016 at 5:52:54 am

Hello

I am back with the shot completed. Thank very much Tero and John for info provided. After considering everything I went with photogrammetry.

This is the final piece:

I took 60 70 photos of the gate. Agisoft Photoscan created the 3d model for me. I then imported the model in After Effects and mimicked the actual camera movement. Exported the few seconds cg animated footage to premiere where the movie edit took place and combined them.

I guess it could have possibly looked a little more blurry,the gate, and it could have had more texture but it was the first time for me using Agisoft Photoscan (although I followed all the steps to create texture, somehow along the way I lost it from what I see)

Thank you very much for your input and interest in my problem. I am complete beginner in everything so I did my best at this stage. Thank you again. Hope you like my shot.

Costin

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: camera backs up, goes through wire fence with no cut. is this effect possible?
by on Jun 11, 2015 at 4:14:01 pm

There's also the possibility of doing the camera movement through a part where there's no fence and then adding and tracking a piece of fence there.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 11, 2015 at 4:54:12 pm

Tero, glad you said that, totally meant to include that idea, went searching for the tutorial and it slipped my mind.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

by on Jun 11, 2015 at 5:31:02 pm

Thank you very much Tero Ahlfors. I didn't think about this even though it is the simplest way I guess. But unfortunately I cannot modify any part of the fence or gate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]