ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Stabilising shot

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex ForbesStabilising shot
by on Jun 10, 2015 at 7:51:01 pm

Hi there,
Im having a really difficult time trying to stabilize a shot.
My shot is a little wobbly as I was using a camera on a tall tripod and id like to smooth the shake out but Warp Stabilizer is giving me no luck.

The problem is that the shot is of a coffee cup on a table from a high viewpoint and the protagonists head slightly obscures part of the coffee cup. He drops a few sugar cubes into the cup before mixing the coffee. Warp Stabilizer hates this shot because it fixes on the liquid inside the mug so when he stirs the coffee the effect makes the whole scene wobble.

What would be a good way to stabilize this footage? I tried Rotoscoping just the Coffee mug but that still seemed to throw things off a bit, was that the right direction to go down thought?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Stabilising shot
by on Jun 11, 2015 at 4:31:38 pm

If it's just this one shot, I'd recommend a re-shoot using better camera support. There's nothing in it that demands the actor again, just a double. You'll be a lot happier with the results.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Stabilising shot
by on Jun 11, 2015 at 4:59:25 pm

If you mask out the coffee in the cup and the moving actor in a precomp and then try to run the Warp Stabilizer on the precomp, it might help a lot. After it's run, you can turn off the masking inside the precomp and it'll be a nice, stable shot (assuming the stabilizer worked).

Although, Dave's idea might be a better one. :)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved