ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Null objects changing to solids?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam O'Hern
Null objects changing to solids?
on Jun 10, 2015 at 3:18:38 pm

Hi All,

Apologies for the noob question here. Clearly I'm just not understanding something fundamental about Null objects.

Why would a Null object appear as a white square, rather than the normal transparent bounding box?

If I use RMB > New > Null Object, the result is the typical transparent red bounding box. That also creates something called "Solids/Null 1" in the project. Dragging and dropping Null 1 from the project browser into a comp, however, yields a while square, not a transparent one.

Thanks!
Adam

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Null objects changing to solids?
on Jun 10, 2015 at 3:56:54 pm

I kinda hate to say this, but that's just how it works.

If I know I'm going to need a lot of nulls in a comp, I'll just make one -- I don't do anything with it -- and then just duplicate it when I need a null. It's pretty handy.

Need a null in a different comp? Copy-paste works, too... but only if you find it handy.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adam O'Hern
on Jun 10, 2015 at 4:19:16 pm

Huh. Weird.

Can you (or anyone) explain why it works this way? Not that it's a big deal to do it the way you suggest, but I feel like there's some Law Of The AE Universe that I'm not understanding.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 10, 2015 at 4:27:36 pm

I guess I'm not as curious as you are. I just play the hand I'm dealt.

Or maybe it's because I've seen other weird stuff in AE over the years, this is just one more, and knowing doesn't change it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 10, 2015 at 4:38:59 pm

It's an artifact from the olden days of AE. It is how it's always been.
Since it isn't a workflow killer, the AE team have never gotten around to updating it.
They have much more important things on their plate like completely rewriting AE's core so that it's more interactive and faster. Which they're doing!!! :)

If it really does bother you, you can file a feature request. They really do read those.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Adam O'Hern
on Jun 10, 2015 at 4:41:54 pm

Fantastic, thanks for the info. I'm new to AE, so I'm just trying to educate myself about these things. Not that I need it to change, I just need mental models to help me make sense of this new world.

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 10, 2015 at 5:35:08 pm

Welcome to AE! :)

If you're not going through a solid, professional course to start
off in the AE world, I highly recommend this resource: http://adobe.ly/AE_basics
It's the best, free way I know of to get up to speed on AE.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Steven Perry
on Jan 3, 2017 at 6:17:21 pm

***Captain here,

When you create a null the opacity is set to zero.

If you drag the null in from the project window the opacity is at 100%

A null is really just a 100x100 solid. But when you create a null, it's opacity is zero, since dragging it from the project window gives you an object with no altered properties, its opacity is back at 100%.

Dave LaRonde... I swear you post on every single question on this site. STOP. If you don't know the answer, don't comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]