ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects, Particles and Null Objects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Warren GeeAfter Effects, Particles and Null Objects
by on Jun 10, 2015 at 3:07:20 pm

Hi, I have been using this site as reference for years, but cant seem to find an answer for this problem I have come across. Any help would be awesome!

I have a particle layer that has it's producer set to follow the path of a Null object (Null A). The Null object has a motion path. this all works fine.

I now want to be able to scale Null A's motion path without effecting the scale of the Particle. So I created Null B to control this. The problem I have is when I created Null B and parented Null A to Null B, the particle producer has offset to the top left corner of the Comp.

Does any one know a way to either correct this or a way to animate the scale of a motion path.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: After Effects, Particles and Null Objects
by on Jun 10, 2015 at 4:27:04 pm

How have you tied the producer to Null A? If you've tied it to it's position and then parented that null, the position value is now relative to the parent.
No good.

What you need to do is create a new null (say, Null C) and have it follow Null A's position in comp space.
Something like this in Null C's position property:

L=thisComp.layer("Null A");

Does that help?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Warren GeeRe: After Effects, Particles and Null Objects
by on Jun 11, 2015 at 8:16:40 am

Thanks for that I will give that a go.

I have managed to get it working by adding .toComp([0,0,0]).
So now my expressiong tieing the producer to Null A =

thisComp.layer("Null A").toComp([0,0,0])

This has worked really well. Added benefit of projecting the Producer in 3D space. Which is pretty cool.

Thanks for the reply though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved