Frame rate issue? I think?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joey Heaton
Frame rate issue? I think?
on Jun 7, 2015 at 1:28:12 am
Last Edited By Joey Heaton on Jun 7, 2015 at 12:08:11 pm

Hi there,

First off, I'd like to say thanks to this forum since I always seem to get led here for my Adobe answers via Google.

Now onto my problem:

I'm masking something in After Effects frame-by-frame. The composition frame rate is 23.97, just like the source material, yet when I render it (also at 23.97), it seems to add a few extra frames that mess up my masking process. I'm thoroughly confused and am not sure what to do.

As you can see, I have 4 key frames that adjust the mask as necessary. It's quite a simple masking job, yet when you render and play it back...

This is really frustrating. What's the point of frame-by-frame editing if the damn program can't render it faithfully?

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Peter Diefenthaler
Re: Frame rate issue? I think?
on Jun 7, 2015 at 11:00:22 pm

Did you accurately specify the frame rate of your composition? You mention “23.97” but After Effects specifically needs 23.976.

Peter Diefenthaler
http://www.ideafirecreative.com/

Return to posts index

Joey Heaton
on Jun 8, 2015 at 12:35:42 am

http://i.imgur.com/hwlH8IW.png

That's exactly what the composition setting uses.

Return to posts index

Paul Esteves
on Jun 8, 2015 at 11:58:34 am

And your render settings?

Return to posts index

Joey Heaton
on Jun 8, 2015 at 12:11:58 pm

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 8, 2015 at 2:15:28 pm

Maybe this is caused by motion blur? If the motion blur layer switch is enabled but the motion blur composition switch is disabled, you won't see what your final "Best Settings" render will look like.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Peter Diefenthaler
on Jun 8, 2015 at 3:37:45 pm

As I said before, there is a mismatch between your composition frame rate and the output frame rate. Make sure the composition frame rate is specifically 23.976 fps. You have it currently set to 23.97 in both screen shots you're showing. You will get repeated frames, a shorter runtime and/or audio that doesn't sink with picture. I tested this in AE CS5.5. It's possible that newer versions of After Effects handle the mismatch differently and try to render an “in-between” frame, where in 5.5 it just gives repeated frames.

Peter Diefenthaler
http://www.ideafirecreative.com/

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 8, 2015 at 3:42:28 pm

[Peter Diefenthaler] "As I said before, there is a mismatch between your composition frame rate and the output frame rate. Make sure the composition frame rate is specifically 23.976 fps. You have it currently set to 23.97 in both screen shots you're showing."

Sorry, I misinterpreted the line "That's exactly what the composition setting uses" and didn't look at the pictures! I agree with Peter; the frame rate here is wrong. As Peter notes, this has to be precisely correct, every decimal.

[Peter Diefenthaler] "It's possible that newer versions of After Effects handle the mismatch differently and try to render an “in-between” frame, where in 5.5 it just gives repeated frames."

Frame rate handling hasn't changed. Ae will still do exactly what you tell it to.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Joey Heaton
on Jun 8, 2015 at 7:59:47 pm
Last Edited By Joey Heaton on Jun 8, 2015 at 8:00:32 pm

Yep, that did it! I feel so silly that it was such a minute detail causing the problem and all my frustration! Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]