ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Lightweight layer copy, or reference

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pens HerbertLightweight layer copy, or reference
by on Jun 5, 2015 at 6:46:13 pm

Short version:
Can I make a "snapshot" of a layer and work on that rather than duplicating a layer in order to avoid rendering effects twice?

Long version:
I have a layer with lots of effects. I want to make an inset of this layer; a circle with a zoomed in detail. The problem is that if I copy the layer, apply the same set of effects, increase the layer scale and apply a mask, then rendering the composition is twice as slow as all the effects are rendered twice; once for each layer.

I was hoping there might be some way of creating a "snapshot", or "reference" to my main layer, since all I want to do with the copy is increase the scale and apply a mask.

I am aware that I could render the layer, then import that as a new piece of footage to use as the second layer, but this seems a less than ideal solution.

Is such a thing possible? Does anybody have an alternative approach to achieve the same thing? Or am I just going to have to put up with the long rendering time?

Return to posts index

Pens HerbertRe: Lightweight layer copy, or reference
by on Jun 5, 2015 at 10:01:04 pm

Embarrassingly I seem to have answered my own question. The solution I have gone with is to put the main layer into a composition of its own. This seems to work nicely.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Lightweight layer copy, or reference
by on Jun 5, 2015 at 10:18:38 pm

Or nail down the effects you use, declare that you have Effects Lock, render it and reimport.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved