ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Masks moving with path

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elsie StarbrookMasks moving with path
by on Jun 5, 2015 at 5:41:22 pm

Hi all, me again! Thank you so much for helping me earlier, but I have another issue- it's pretty simple, I'm kinda kicking myself for forgetting it (I'm a bit rusty)

I have an animation of some bubbles and I want them to be masked at the edge of the images here- quite simple stuff so far.

However, when I create my masks on the bubbles layers, the mask moves along the path set for the bubbles.

What would you guys suggest I do? Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

Jordan QuackenbushRe: Masks moving with path
by on Jun 5, 2015 at 8:10:49 pm

If I catch what you mean, then you'll want to use an Adjustment layer with the mask on it. Put the adjustment layer above the bubble, and have the bubble Alpha Inv. Matte the Adjustment layer (or just Alpha Matte, depending on how you made your mask).

Jordan Q
If I'm posting a question, it means I've Googled it for far too long and couldn't find a solution/answer.

Return to posts index

Peter DiefenthalerRe: Masks moving with path
by on Jun 8, 2015 at 4:19:43 pm

Precompose all of the bubble layers first (select them all and press Ctrl+Shift+C). If that background layer has transparency, duplicate it and use it as an alpha track matte for the bubbles layer. You'll need to reveal the “Modes” column to use track matte. In the timeline above the layers in the area that says layer name, parent, etc, right-click > Columns > Modes. If the background doesn't have transparency, then just trace the mask onto the precomposed bubble layer.

Peter Diefenthaler

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved