ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Color Space Management - Noob

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill GainesColor Space Management - Noob
by on Jun 4, 2015 at 7:33:38 pm

Hi there, AE Noobie and stuck on a color issue.

I've made a recording of an app interface on an iPhone 6 with Quicktime. The move looks like a good match, but it looks like there is a color shift when I import the footage into AE. The subsequent output is incorrect. It's pretty important for the brand that the colors are correct.

I started with this tutorial on YouTube ( but the problem is that I can't seem to find out what color space the orgrigonal .mov file is. When I go to Interpret Footage for that clip and click on the Color Management tab all of the profile options are disabled. It says the Embedded profile is is HDTV Rec. 709) Y'CbCr.

Anyway, if anyone out there could help I would be very grateful.
Thank you!

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Color Space Management - Noob
by on Jun 5, 2015 at 5:46:39 pm

Several formats are assumed to be HDTV 709 because they are defined to use that profile. However, that doesn't mean the colors will necessarily be right (color managed workflows can go south quickly if a user or application takes a wrong turn).

If you need to force a profile on the footage you can use the Utility > Color Profile Converter effect. Keep in mind, though, that even after reinterpretation via this effect the colors will always end up in your working space.

What are you using as your working space? By default AE will use the working space as the output profile but you can specify a different output profile in the output module.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Color Space Management - Noob
by on Jun 5, 2015 at 7:00:49 pm

[Bill Gaines] "I can't seem to find out what color space the orgrigonal .mov file is."

I haven;t captured an iPhone screen from quicktime, but i know when copy/pasting frames from quicktime to photoshop, the color profile is usually the monitor's color profile...

Kevin Camp
Art Director

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved