ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

rotobrush painfully slow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Angela Herrrotobrush painfully slow
by on Jun 2, 2015 at 4:39:00 pm

Hi
I am using the rotobrush to mask the skin of a person in project I am working on and it is so slow. To the point that it is extremely hard to use. I used reversible stabilization on the footage first because I also need to use the liquify tool to warp the persons face and arms so maybe it is the combination of the two functions? If so is there a better way for me to change the color of the person's skin as well as use the liquify tool on handheld footage?

I am working on a Mac Pro and usually dont have a problem with speed.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: rotobrush painfully slow
by on Jun 2, 2015 at 4:47:55 pm

We'll assume you're fully-versed in using Rotobrush, and you aren't trying to use it intuitively... because that's a sure-fire path to failure.

It could be the footage itself. H.264, AVCHD, MPEG or any other highly-compressed video slows down AE's more sophisticated functions... a lot. You subject AE to far more thinking to create one simple frame... because in highly-compressed video, not every frame has complete information.

So AE has to keep going back-and-forth just to make a frame, figure out what you're doing with the frame, reconstruct the frame internally to do what what you want it to do.... you get the idea.

It's far better to transcode to a form AE can digest easier. I like QT's in Photo JPEG, PNG, Animation, DNxHD or ProRes 422 codecs. Depending on the circumstances.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Angela HerrRe: rotobrush painfully slow
by on Jun 2, 2015 at 5:01:40 pm

I am new to after effects so also new to using rotobrush. I have watched 10+ tutorials and have used it successfully on a few projects but I might be missing something. If you could advise me on a few of the possible ways I could be doing it wrong that would be helpful.
As for the codec it is DNxHD.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 2, 2015 at 5:08:35 pm

Rotobrush is too complicated a feature for a simple forum post. Perhaps you could elaborate on what you mean by the term, "painfully slow". It could be all is normal, but you're not used to it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Angela HerrRe: rotobrush painfully slow
by on Jun 2, 2015 at 7:24:44 pm

Well I am going through frame by frame to make minor adjustments to the rotobrush mask and it will take 30 seconds to recognize that I made an adjustment stroke and a lot of the time the stroke will be wrong because it wont acknowledge that I was trying to make a stroke until after so it is reading my unclicked mouse movement at an adjustment stroke.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 2, 2015 at 10:40:28 pm

mmmmmmm, I think I'd go back and have some more looks at those training materials... especially the ones put out by Adobe and the Pro Video Coalition. Unless the video in question is hopeless (and we don't know that 'cause we can't see it) Rotobrush should be able to propogate at least a few frames.

And God help you if got your training from some high school kid's youtube channel. In AE terms, those geniuses are lucky to find their posteriors in the dark using both hands.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kurt KlinzingRe: rotobrush painfully slow
by on Dec 7, 2015 at 3:42:34 pm
Last Edited By Kurt Klinzing on Dec 7, 2015 at 4:47:47 pm

After Effects was painfully slow for me. I took your advice and re-rendered the .MOV file from my camera into other formats.

The original files were 31 Mb in size. It was 9 seconds in length.

I exported it in various formats with different compression. I then made 2 layers. I rotobrushed one and added a color effect to it. I then previewed the composition.
The times indicate how long to create the preview. The speed up from the clip that came directly from my camera to any re-rendered format as almost 100 times.

Format Compression Size Time to render

MOV Direct from 31Mb 2700 sec (45 Minutes)
camera
MOV H264 40Mb 33 sec
MOV Animation 600Mb
AVI no compression 1000BM 39 sec

THANKS!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]