ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Red blocks appear on footage in after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Katie Newland
Red blocks appear on footage in after effects
on May 28, 2015 at 6:53:27 pm

Hi All, I hope you may be able to help with my problem.

I've got a selection of XDCam footage that has been edited in FCP7 and now exported to After Effects CS5.5. Previous exports have all played fine in AE but the latest scene is having real problems.

In FCP the footage plays fine and once it is exported it still plays fine in Quick Time Player, however once it goes into After Effects the majority of the footage (usually from a second in to each shot) distorts and becomes unwatchable, covered by big red blocks.

I have no idea what is causing this problem, older scenes are still playing fine and everything has been exported with the same settings.

Oddly the problem is resolved if I select Recompress All Frames on the export, but ideally I would prefer not to use this option.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Mark

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Red blocks appear on footage in after effects
on May 29, 2015 at 8:32:13 am

What codec are you using to export, what AE version, what OS? It looks like you're on a Mac and it's a codec issue.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 29, 2015 at 7:39:51 pm

I'd export out of FCP in ProRes 422. You can't beat that.

If FCP permits, I'd just create a timeline in ProRes 422, then copy everything from the old timeline into the new one and export.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on May 29, 2015 at 8:10:57 pm

I run into this now and again, and usually end up converting the footage to ProRes. Interestingly, it doesn't happen with all XDCAM footage; typically just with footage shot on a Sony FS100. I've googled it numerous times and tried dozens of solutions with no luck. Now I just find it more time efficient to convert the footage instead of wasting more time digging for a solution that may not exist. If anyone has the magic fix, I would be happy to hear it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]