ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Stabilizing shaky drone footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon HensenStabilizing shaky drone footage
by on May 27, 2015 at 1:14:19 am

Got back some extremely bad cases of shaky footage from our drones this past week. The drone was damaged during operation but continued to try and scrap some footage together. Most of what was captured after the drone was damaged is violently shaky.

i have deemed most of this material as trash and not usable. Whatever the basic stabilizing filter in Media Compose cannot handle, I am viewing as beyond saving. Am I wrong? I know it depends on how bad the footage is. Some is very bad, parts are better.

Are there any last ditch efforts in AE that I can try that may yield better results? Twixtor or some other plugin? If so, is the fix basic enough to let the tool do most of the work, or will sophistication in using the tool be required to get good results? Will an advanced AE user need to be utilized in order to exhaust my efforts?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Stabilizing shaky drone footage
by on May 27, 2015 at 6:26:12 am

I've stabilized pretty crazy drone stuff with the AE version of the warp stabilizer because you can remove unwanted tracking points from it. If the footage is really violent as you said and shaking and has motion blur and perspective fluttering then it's probably beyond repair.

Return to posts index

Aleksey TarasovRe: Stabilizing shaky drone footage
by on May 27, 2015 at 8:10:44 am

give Mercalli stabilizer a try... (it's a standalone tool)

Return to posts index

Jon HensenRe: Stabilizing shaky drone footage
by on May 27, 2015 at 6:25:30 pm

Thank guys. Trying now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved