ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Change file format of proxies in AE CC 2014

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Zecco
Change file format of proxies in AE CC 2014
on May 22, 2015 at 6:38:36 pm

Hey All,

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

I am working on an HP Z230 workstation, and using After Effects CC 2014. I usually work on a mac and don't have this issue, so I am hoping it is an easy fix.

I am going through a rather large and complex AE comp and I want to create proxies for some of the more complex animations to help streamline things in the animation process (these are iconography based animated comps, some utilizing 3d and ray tracing, hence the need for proxies as the comp gets larger).

When I choose the comp that I want to make a proxy from, it opens up a dialogue box with only .avi as an option. On my older system it used to open up in the render queue, and I could change the format from there.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Change file format of proxies in AE CC 2014
on May 22, 2015 at 6:47:58 pm

[Chris Zecco] "When I choose the comp that I want to make a proxy from, it opens up a dialogue box with only .avi as an option. On my older system it used to open up in the render queue, and I could change the format from there."

How are you making the proxy? Do you have QuickTime installed on the new system?

You can simply add the comp to the render queue, in the output module settings, change "Post-Render Action" to "Set Proxy."

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Chris Zecco
on May 22, 2015 at 6:50:01 pm

I have tried creating the proxy from:

1 - right clicking on the comp in the project window choosing > Set Proxy > Movie...

2 - opening the comp in the timeline, and choosing Composition > Pre-render...

I will try adding to render queue and choosing Set Proxy. I wasn't aware that this was an option! Thanks!

2012 Mac Pro
2x 2.4GHz Intel Xeon
24GB RAM
1GB ATI Radeon 5770

2011 Macbook Pro
2.4GHz i7
8GB RAM

Return to posts index

Chris Zecco
on May 22, 2015 at 6:52:40 pm

I tried choosing "Set Proxy" from the output module. Still defaults to .avi. I wouldn't mind so much, if the resulting "Proxy" wasnt 44GB.

2012 Mac Pro
2x 2.4GHz Intel Xeon
24GB RAM
1GB ATI Radeon 5770

2011 Macbook Pro
2.4GHz i7
8GB RAM

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 22, 2015 at 7:52:47 pm

If I had a vote in this, I'd vote for installing QT7.x for Win on that machine. It would make your life easier, and you wouldn't be limited to AVI's.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]