ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Remove harsh shadow cast on actor's clothing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
melissa boyajianRemove harsh shadow cast on actor's clothing
by on May 21, 2015 at 7:29:38 pm

I have been searching through threads about cast shadows, but they seem to be about removing them from backgrounds from objects such as boom poles. I had a severe time crunch and was shooting in another country and have no opportunity to retake the shot. The shadow is produced from the camera and tripod directly onto the actor's body and it looks very distracting. The shirt of the actor is a periwinkle blue and the shadow is a darker blue. I have played with change to color and even making a separate adjustment layer first, but it doesn't give me good results. Does anyone know of any color correction tools that I should try out that might lessen or get rid of my nasty shadow? Thank you.

M Boyajian

Return to posts index

Derek BoettcherRe: Remove harsh shadow cast on actor's clothing
by on May 21, 2015 at 11:38:35 pm

You maybe out of luck, but do you have a screen shot of the footage of a quick clip? I may be able to come up with a solution.

Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Remove harsh shadow cast on actor's clothing
by on May 22, 2015 at 2:47:48 am

it depends on if there's any information in the shadows. if there is, you can use effect-extract-key darker, use it as an alpha matte for effect-shadows and highlights. It also has a built in saturation adjustment because darker stuff loses chroma. You can also blur the alpha matte so it blends in better.

if there's no material information, you might have to settle for a blurred shadow, unless you're skilled at matte painting and rotoscoping.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved