ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Fog in Z depth.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bas v BreugelFog in Z depth.
by on May 20, 2015 at 2:39:03 pm

Hi guys,

I would like to create a look as following;

The scene is made up in 2,5D, there are seperate illustrator objects in z space. A man, some trees, a skyline etc. wenn you move the camera sideways you get that nice parallax effect between the objects.
Now i would like to dolly backwards with the camera and lets the objects fade away in Z depth. a sort of fog kinda speak. I could do it manualy by fading the opacity of each layer but that would be unconvienent with keyframing and timing re-adjustments. The built in after Effects camera has the ability depth of field but that only makes objects out of focus wenn they get in futher in z space.

Im trying out Element 3D but the fog ability only works on the elements inside the element (3d obj) not the other layers in my comp. (As far as I could find out)

Return to posts index

Blaise DourosRe: Fog in Z depth.
by on May 20, 2015 at 4:30:41 pm

The simple-but-janky way to do it is to create a bunch of semi-transparent solids, space them at regular intervals from the camera, and then parent them to the camera so that they follow the camera's movements. As your camera backs away, more of the solids move in front of your objects, and gradually occlude them. Bonus points for using the fractal noise effect on the solids to create billowing cloud shapes.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Fog in Z depth.
by on May 20, 2015 at 5:39:19 pm

There's a sample expression for this in the documentation:

But doing this on opacity can create issues with overlapping layers. Maybe it's better to use this expression with a tint effect so that you can color distant objects to give the appearance of fog and keep them opaque as they should be.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jim ScottRe: Fog in Z depth.
by on May 20, 2015 at 7:34:37 pm

One of the six plug-ins in Buena Depth Cue is Atmosphere, which has fog and haze effects. There's a demo to try it out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved