ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is this a track matte issue? (SOLVED)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan RicheyIs this a track matte issue? (SOLVED)
by on May 19, 2015 at 7:51:30 pm
Last Edited By Ryan Richey on May 19, 2015 at 11:32:40 pm

Hello, I've searched everywhere and have watched a ton of tutorials over the last week trying to figure this out.

In the picture below you can see the words "IN THE BEGINNING" and "a revolutionary idea". These words are way too small after I render and watch on a tv. The problem is when I make the words bigger, there is a rectangle shape that is over the words. This is to allow the image to drop down and act as if it is appearing out of the middle of the screen.

When I make the words bigger I would like the rectangle shape to be bigger as well but I just can't figure this out.

Please help!

This problem resides in the "First Step" highlighted in the image below.

This image shows after double clicking on "First Step".

This image shows the rectangle shape that is hiding the words "IN THE BEGINNING".

This image shows where the track matte is on Alpha Inverted Matte "Shape Layer 2".

This image shows that changing the Track Matte to "None" takes this rectangle shape away revealing the words "IN THE BEGINNING".

This image shows what it looks like after enlarging the words "IN THE BEGINNING" with the "Alpha Inverted Matte "Shape Layer 2" enabled.

This image shows how the "Alpha Inverted Matte "Shape Layer 2" follows the words "IN THE BEGINNING" across the screen.

I hope these images can give you an idea of what I am trying to fix.

Thank you for your time in advance! It is much appreciated!

Ryan

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Is this a track matte issue?
by on May 19, 2015 at 8:39:12 pm

If I've understood everything, and if the shape layer serving as a matte isn't animated, I'd parent the text layer to its matte layer and then scale/position the matte.

If I were starting this fresh then I'd probably parent the shape layer and the text to the same null. Then I'd use that null to move and scale the layers when I want them to retain their relative transforms.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Ryan RicheyRe: Is this a track matte issue?
by on May 19, 2015 at 10:16:41 pm

Thank you so much for your time, Darby.

This is a template I'm using and I am very new to AE. I'm not too sure if the shape layer serving as a matte is animated or not. I'm actually having a hard time finding where the shape that is used to cover the text is located. I'm guessing the shape serving as a matte is in this location? (highlighted in picture below). If so, how would I parent the text layer to the shape/matte layer? It looks like there is only 2 layers and both are text layers as shown in pictures 2-4.

Thank you!
Ryan

Return to posts index

Ryan RicheyRe: Is this a track matte issue?
by on May 19, 2015 at 11:31:16 pm

Solved! Finally! The picture below shows the steps I took in order to correct this issue.

Thanks again for your help Darby!

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Is this a track matte issue?
by on May 20, 2015 at 2:42:29 am

Apologies, I didn't realize it was a template. I assumed you had setup the shy layers and knew where they were.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Is this a track matte issue?
by on May 20, 2015 at 4:45:33 pm

Nice going. You doped it out.

I normally use solids rather than shape layers for this kind of stuff, but that's just me.

If you're really new to AE, you've learned that simple possession of a template doesn't automatically mean AE success. Template makers assume the user has pre-existing AE knowledge ranging anywhere from Basic to Expert.

And since a good knowledge of the AE Basics is a prerequisite to ANYTHING you do in AE, I'd like to point you in this direction:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff....

Oodles of good stuff within that link. There's even a list of the REALLY good tutorials by Andrew Devis on AE Basics, found right here on the COW. Oddly enough, you won't find a similar list on the COW at all!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]