ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

I need your input/Advise

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Bodego
I need your input/Advise
on May 19, 2015 at 6:16:54 am

I am in the process of having a machine built for me that can handle all after effects tasks without lag. Its going to be a windows 8.1 machine and i have a decent size budget. Below are the specs. I would like you to give me advise on what i need to make this happen.
Motherboard: 700-149
Basic I/O System(BIOS): 80.24
Central Processing Unit(CPU): Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Physical Memory X 3
8GB
4GB
4GB
Hard Disk: ST2000DM001-1CH164 (1.8TB)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 635
Monitor: HP Pavilion 27bw IPS LED Backlit Monitor
Audio Device X 3
NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Bluetooth Hands-free Audio
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: I need your input/Advise
on May 19, 2015 at 2:46:54 pm

That's not much RAM. Try four 8 GB sticks instead.
You didn't mention an SSD; you should get an SSD.
I'd get a faster processor if I were you.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 19, 2015 at 4:47:56 pm

I'm curious about what you mean by the term, "no lag". Under what circumstances -- don't be afraid to get specific -- are you encountering this "lag".

Since AE is totally different from a video editing application, and works in a totally different manner, what you consider to be "lag" may be perfectly acceptable AE behavior...

...meaning no machine in the world would remedy it, and you'd just have to get used to it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joe Bodego
on May 19, 2015 at 6:41:14 pm

Well when i swich to Raytrace, its a 5 minute lag time, screen flickers for about 15 seconds. Certain plugins are slow. All in all in know i need a more powerful machine, no issue there. i need to know (1) What video card to get and maybe monitors. I have a decent budget

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on May 19, 2015 at 8:18:30 pm

OH! That's an important detail! If you're planning to use the ray-traced renderer, the GPU is the important detail. However, the ray-traced renderer is considered obsolete since AE version 12. After Effects comes with a much more powerful way to do 3d [link] in the recent versions.

So, if you're using version 12 or version 13 of After Effects, I'd suggest you ignore the ray-traced renderer entirely (which means you can ignore the GPU for AE work unless you're using Red Giant Universe, Element 3D, or other third-party plugins that actually use the GPU).

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Joe Bodego
on May 19, 2015 at 10:36:25 pm

Thanks, i do have all plugins, and i have AE 2014. So what video card do you recommend, i am making a list

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on May 20, 2015 at 6:30:00 am

Any of the new nVidia GTX cards, no need in my opinion to get a Titan, however that would be nice.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Joe Bodego
on May 20, 2015 at 7:00:37 am

thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]