ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Continuously Rasterized layers disappearing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Connor HandleyContinuously Rasterized layers disappearing
by on May 17, 2015 at 4:45:27 pm

I used after effects to set up and render a scene where I have 9 circles filled with illustrations, I vectorised these sketches and then loaded them into AE so that I could preserve sharp edges... Or so I thought.
I rendered this a sa pixellated blurry mess just because I couldnt figure this out in time for my project deadline (for uni, I'd never dream of doing this to a client) but now I want to do this right. Basically, each circle needs to be in Z-space so that they're visible behind each other at various camera angles and so that the camera can move freely through the centre of them. I also want them to be rotating. My issue is that I can't have them rotate. I can have them in 3D space as a 3D layer with continuously rasterize turned on and the vectors show in beautiful clarity, but when I add a 'rotate over time' effect to the layer it disappears... I've tried various pre-comp combinations and none of them will give me the result I want to get, I can get the rotate effect to work when placed on a pre-comp of the initial vector, but I cant get that or any subsequent pre-comps to work in Z-space... What can I do? What am I doing wrong? This is driving me insane

Return to posts index

Derek BoettcherRe: Continuously Rasterized layers disappearing
by on May 18, 2015 at 1:45:58 am

Make sure the anchor point is in the center of your object. Also, hitting the continuously rasterize function on a precomp is actually collapse 3d which allows the 3d information from inside the precomp to be affected by a 3d camera.

If you can show me a few screen shots of your work flow I may be able to help you find your problem.

Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Continuously Rasterized layers disappearing
by on May 18, 2015 at 3:04:27 am

Continuously rasterize changes the render pipeline. Rotate the layers without an effect applied and things should work. Applying the effect breaks the 3d compositing space such that the layers become composited in their layer order rather than depth order.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Connor HandleyRe: Continuously Rasterized layers disappearing
by on May 19, 2015 at 2:10:37 am

Thanks Darby, your suggestion worked :)
My piece is here if you'd like to view it:

(I'd like to point out for the sake of rules, the video is unlisted and unmonetised, it's only on there for the purpose of submitting it to my uni tutors and I'm not promoting myself, anyone else, or earning money in any way by sharing this with you)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved