ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Crashing due to "Low RAM"

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tammy Wong
Crashing due to "Low RAM"
on May 16, 2015 at 3:19:17 am

Hey all,

I run After Effects CS6, and my computer has been unusually working at its limits (I can tell even by the sound of it), and eventually, AE would crash on me due to low RAM even though I have 16GB. I have 12GB allocated to AE and 4GB for other applications.

I never had this problem until recently for some reason, it used to run very well, but now, it always runs at 10GB+ of RAM even when I'm just opening old completed projects from the past. I have to close chrome and everything else because either AE or other apps will crash if they're opened at the same time. And even then, AE could crash perhaps every hour or so. I used to be able to have AE, Photoshop and Illustrator opened simultaneously but there's no way that's possible anymore.

I have tried purging, emptying disk caches, and disabling multiprocessing - no luck.

Is it just my hardware depreciating? I just don't understand why this is happening randomly, and I think most of us can run AE with just 8GB of RAM...

My system specs:
i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50 GHz
16GB RAM
64-bit OS
Nvidia Geforce GTX 670

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Tammy

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Crashing due to "Low RAM"
on May 17, 2015 at 11:22:18 am

[Tammy Wong] "I run After Effects CS6, and my computer has been unusually working at its limits (I can tell even by the sound of it)"

Ae CS6 introduced a new caching system, called the Global Performance Cache. If your cache is stored on a mechanical hard drive, using might sound just like swapping: constant hard disk accesses.

Have you installed all the updates to Ae CS6? I think 11.0.4 is the current version.

[Tammy Wong] "and eventually, AE would crash on me due to low RAM even though I have 16GB. "

How do you know that the crash has something to do with RAM? What exactly happens when it fails?

[Tammy Wong] "I have 12GB allocated to AE and 4GB for other applications. "

Maybe try 10 GB to Ae and 6 GB to other applications.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Tammy Wong
on May 19, 2015 at 9:10:40 pm

I updated AE as suggested, and reduced AE to 10GB, and after that, I haven't had a crash since! So I'm not sure which did the trick.

Before, I knew it was due to RAM because I literally get the "Your computer is low on memory" error constantly. I check memory usage in the task manager to verify that it indeed has reached to 14~15gb used. AE would then keep on crashing, and give me "a chance to save my file" before it closes, and after that, it does.

Right before I followed your advice, it also randomly closed itself while I was working with no prompt at all, which was the first time ever.

---
As for what I installed/upgraded recently, the only relevant thing I can think of is updating my GPU driver... so I doubt that's the problem.

For now though, it works fine! I also completely disabled multiprocessing because sometimes it wouldn't ram preview anything for some reason so I gave up on that.

Thanks for the help guys!

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on May 18, 2015 at 1:38:34 am

"I never had this problem until recently for some reason..."

To me the problem lies elsewhere, not in AE. Some trouble-shooting suggestions -
1. What program(s) did you install recently, or upgraded recently?
2. Open msconfig.exe, look at the Startup list, disable any applications that you do not require at startup, but more importantly, see if you can identify a program that could be the problem - for example, a program that you do not recognize? Try googling for it, to see if it could be a problem.
3. Look up the Processes in Task Manager to see if there is a process hogging resources. Trace back to the program if you can, and if it is something you do not require, disable or uninstall it. Else just stop the process, load AE and your usual other programs, and see if the crashes still exist.

good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]