ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CC Light Rays off edge of Layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bud AngelottiCC Light Rays off edge of Layer
by on May 14, 2015 at 2:20:10 pm

Hi Y'all-
First time posting.Been getting great tips from you guys for awhile now, I'm stumped on this one. Bet there is an easy solution.
Q: I am applying CC Light rays (actually 4 of 'em) to an animated layer that moves around, gets larger, smaller etc. Sorta like headlights on a spaceship. The layer is precomposed and works great.
The problem is when I downscale the precomposed layer, the ambient light from the "headlights" ends at the sides of the downscaled layer, leaving a "box" of ambient light.
Would love for the ambient light from the headlights to shine full screen, even as it's layer becomes smaller.
I realize this is not a job for an adjustment layer.
Thanks in advance!
Bud

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: CC Light Rays off edge of Layer
by on May 14, 2015 at 5:52:49 pm

You're right -- no adjustment layer. Buyt you CAN precompose the layers in question, and make the resulting comp size mmuch bigger. It may cause other issues, but a box of light won't be one of them.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bud AngelottiRe: CC Light Rays off edge of Layer
by on May 14, 2015 at 7:32:18 pm

HMMM - Thanks Dave- Can a larger comp go into a smaller comp? I guess we'll find out. How about applying the lights to a really large null object or a really large transparent solid layer?
Thanks again in advance
Bud

Return to posts index

by on May 14, 2015 at 8:04:45 pm

To the first Q: yes. To the second: no.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on May 14, 2015 at 8:25:59 pm

Thanks Dave,
I'll let you know how it works out.

Bud

Return to posts index

by on May 14, 2015 at 9:39:21 pm

Does not work. This shot has many layers and is supposed to go to the Avid as one shot. What I'll do is animate the layers as needed WITHOUT the light rays, then render it out as 2 layers, the "spaceship" and all layers below, then the layers above, and use lights in Avid or Boris.
Thanks for trying Dave, wil get it to look good somehow.
Cheers!

Return to posts index

by on May 14, 2015 at 10:13:08 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 14, 2015 at 10:13:53 pm

Okay, hold on....

When you put that spaceship into the really big comp, did you also make the layer with the lights really big, too?

I've got to admire you for your moxie in doing effects in Avid. I have to cut in Avid now, and I can't stand how the thing works.... it's a real pain. So '90's in the way it does things.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on May 14, 2015 at 11:55:32 pm

"When you put that spaceship into the really big comp, did you also make the layer with the lights really big, too?"
No I did not. Thats the problem. The layer(spaceship) gets smaller, relative to the other layers in the shot.
Avid is my friend as long as I don't stack 6 or 8 layers with lots of effects nested and so forth. I'm old school. I used to shave in the AM, take my razor to work and slice film.
Still, I have a feeling I'm missing something really simple & should be able to do this in AE.
Cheers!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: CC Light Rays off edge of Layer
by on May 15, 2015 at 12:47:39 pm

Rather than moving the adjustment layer, which as you note can only create effects with its layer boundaries, animate the Center and Intensity or Radius properties of CC Light Rays.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

by on May 15, 2015 at 4:00:52 pm

Will do.
Thanks Walter.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 19, 2015 at 2:07:29 pm

Just a follow up to tell how I got this to work.
Added an adjustment layer, scaled it to 200% and parented it to the underlying "space ship" .
Added the 4 "headlites" to the adjustment layer and tracked them to the underlying spaceship video which has very limited motion, so there was not much tracking.
No, we can move the spaceship wherever we want, scale it as needed, and the headlights stay with it and fill the screen if we scale in to the spaceship.
Maybe this will help someone else down the road.

Cheers!
Bud

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]