ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Batch centering anchor point using alpha... is it possible?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caleb McLaughlin
Batch centering anchor point using alpha... is it possible?
on May 14, 2015 at 2:14:05 pm

Hey folks. I'm looking for a way to auto-center a layer's anchor point using the layer's alpha channel and not the layer dimensions. Here's the deal:

I have a polygon portrait made up of fourhundredsomething layers (see below). These are imported from a Photoshop document, thus each layer has the same dimensions and anchor point, regardless of where the triangle is. I'd like to find a way to move each layer's anchor point to the center of the triangle.

I tried a script on AE Scripts, but it works based on the layer dimensions. Can anybody suggest a way to move each anchor point to the triangle center without clicking and dragging each one?

-----------------------------

Caleb

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Batch centering anchor point using alpha... is it possible?
on May 14, 2015 at 9:23:07 pm
Last Edited By Todd Kopriva on May 14, 2015 at 9:23:26 pm

Layer > Transform > Center Anchor Point In Layer Content

This command works on multiple selected layers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects product manager and curmudgeon
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Caleb McLaughlin
on May 15, 2015 at 3:10:55 pm

Hi Todd. Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, this only seems to work on Shape layers. The layers I'm working with are imported from a single photoshop document, and all have the same dimensions (the transparency extends the same amount on each layer). If I move the anchor points off center, then use the transform command mentioned above, it centers the anchor points back to where they were before, in the center of the layer but not in the center of the triangles.

Caleb

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 16, 2015 at 1:38:18 am

Reimport your Photoshop document, and this time use the "Composition - Retain Layer Sizes" option.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Caleb McLaughlin
on Jul 9, 2015 at 6:57:50 pm

Hi Walter. Sorry I'm late getting back to this. Retaining Layer Sizes would do the trick except that they all import to the center of the composition, thus losing the overall picture. Is there a way to disperse the layers after importing them? Or maybe import the layers and then "Retain Layer Size" after the fact? Not sure what that would look like... maybe autocropping the layers somehow...

Caleb

Return to posts index

Caleb McLaughlin
on Jul 9, 2015 at 7:45:34 pm

I stand corrected. Retaining layer size is absolutely what I need to do, and I was simply bypassing the comp it made for me out of habit (since the PSD file didn't match the dimensions I wanted). Kind of embarrassing that the solution was so simple. Thank you Walter for helping me clear that up.

Caleb

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]