ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Adobe CC color management

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy HaccounAdobe CC color management
by on May 14, 2015 at 11:21:46 am
Last Edited By Jeremy Haccoun on May 14, 2015 at 11:22:18 am

Hi All,

There's something I've been wanting to understand for a while about Adobe CC color management and although I've read countless forums on the subject, I'm not 100% clear and would really appreciate some help. My reference monitor is an Eizo that has been internally calibrated for Rec.709 via an X-Rite iDisplayPro. So far so good.

I work in After Effects CC and Speedgrade CC, using Mercury Transmit through a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle, feeding my reference monitor in HDMI. My question is, should I enable color management in AFX or leave it off, and why? Is there a similar procedure in Speedgrade?

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Adobe CC color management
by on May 17, 2015 at 12:42:31 pm

there's a pretty simple rule of thumb. if you're ingesting anything color managed other than Rec.709(or whatever your monitor is set at), then anything that isn't the same thing as your monitor isn't gonna be interpreted correctly and therefore will be wrong.

or basically, if all you have is Rec.709 stuff, then AE with color management turned off works similar to its view-simulate Rec.709, i.e. your monitor is set to dumb mode.(fire and forget)

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Adobe CC color management
by on May 17, 2015 at 7:43:28 pm

I no longer use an external monitor so I'm not up to speed on the latest developments in that workflow.

When I was using an external monitor (circa CS4) the colors were not converted from the working space values. You'd have to use a Color Profile Converter effect to make any necessary conversions.

Based on what I've read here:

All external output is now converted to HDTV Rec. 709, so if that's what your external monitor is then you're all set.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Adobe CC color management
by on May 18, 2015 at 6:02:53 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on May 18, 2015 at 6:05:57 am

i guess the real question is, does view-simulate affect external monitors? I'm guessing not...
and it also looks like AE doesn't work with anything besides REC709 for external previews.....very poor programming, and still no external preview luts either, AND still no REC2020 support, wow, just wow...

"When you choose a color working space for the project, the image sent to the video preview monitor is transformed from the working color space to the Rec. 709 color space. The gamma curve of the image is linearized (gamma = 1.0) if the Linearize Working Space option is enabled."

"when color management is enabled in the project, Mercury Transmit will apply color transforms. These color transforms require additional processing, which can slow down the preview speed and drop it below real-time."

Return to posts index

Jeremy HaccounRe: Adobe CC color management
by on May 18, 2015 at 6:11:04 am

Thanks for your help. Sounds great.

I'm working with Red Epic footage. So basically, just leave color management off and work on your rec.709 calibrated monitor. Makes sense. Much simpler, and faster indeed.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Adobe CC color management
by on May 18, 2015 at 8:50:48 pm

Whoa, let's all relax :)

The Color Profile Converter and Apply Color LUT effects work just fine to preview in any profile or LUT you like.

You can add any ICC profiles you like to AE by placing them in the appropriate OS folder.

It may not be the workflow you want it to be, but it's all there.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Adobe CC color management
by on May 20, 2015 at 1:37:33 am

[Chris Wright] "still no REC2020 suppor"

You know what to do:

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>