ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How to create broken marble statue effect for music video?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jose PabloHow to create broken marble statue effect for music video?
by on May 13, 2015 at 12:46:01 pm

Hi guys,

First timer, so pardon for my ignorance. I am a (DIY) musician and for my next music video I want to create an effect of a broken face, that as the song and video progress slowly becomes whole. (please see example pictures). The marble effect is not necessary, it might be better with just my regular skin like the second picture (unless of course, it is easier with the marble skin)

I just have the idea, I haven't started shooting...

But I want to know:

1. Is this possible? in photoshop, yes, but how about for AE and moving video?
2. How? Would it all be done digitally? or does it involve trickier handiwork, like painting myself blue, and then keying out the paint.
3. If painting is the solution, what might be the best way to do it? to be painted and then slowly remove it? or to be normal and then drip paint on me (which is the easier idea, however, i want to do the opposite to be "invisible" and then become whole/complete as song progresses)

the above effect would be for the verses.

For the choruses, since i don't sing the part (the original singer chose not to be in video) I wanted to do something interesting... And since I am playing with the "bust" idea, because it is also like my CD cover, I want to do something like the images below. the idea is to have images and video play through/on me. So if you have ideas/suggestions as to how to do these effects as well.

Thanks guys! Please let me know if you have any suggestions, tips, and so on!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to create broken marble statue effect for music video?
by on May 13, 2015 at 4:12:59 pm

It's going to involve a 3D application, and not just After Effects.

The reason: when a chunk of the face falls off or reappears, it has height, width and depth. It's irregular, both on the surface and the interior. That's not AE's strong suit... not at all.

So you need the easiest way to create something like that, which is a 3D application. Depending on the AE version you use, Cinema 4D may be the 3D application of choice because it integrates well with the newest versions of AE. If budget is an issue, Blender does a fine job, and it's free.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved