ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Switching from After Effects to Fusion?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Altheim
Switching from After Effects to Fusion?
on May 12, 2015 at 5:32:14 pm

Hello Creative Cows! Not that any of you are actual cows-

Our studio has been worried about the continual lacklustre response from Adobe on fixing their very buggy, very problematic, very slow, After Effects. The After Effects forums have been full of 100s of independent users and studios speaking for more than 2 years of major problems. These problems mostly stem out of GPU (Raytracing in general; problem on Mac), RAM (allocation problems, crashes), and general architecture problems and "mess" of code that has been continually patched over for years and not re-coded since 64 bit came out. The worst problems have been seen on the Mac. My studio uses Mac Pros and with thunderbolt technology, very little crashing or virus issues and most filmmaking apps for the Mac (such as Celtx), I wish to stay on Mac. We can have that debate in another forum post :)

Not too long ago, Adobe released an official look at the next update. In it they own up to many faults in After Effects, the biggest one being the "architecture" of the program. It seems the team has been secretly re-coding it for more than a year now, something they should have done before they charged us money for the software.

I'm a huge Adobe fan; I've loved their products and have paid for and used them for years. My confidence has been shaken and if this next update does not fix the issues, I need to move to a new compositing software.

Fusion seems to be the best opportunity coming forward. With its $0 price tag, it has no real barrier to entry; not only that it has a well designed program, with new code (the architecture of the application is brilliantly fast), and it has native ways to use 3d models, in a quick manner.

Anyone here have their advice on what they have noticed between After Effects and Fusion? AE seems to me to be more of a consumer grade application, in a world that is wanting more and more pro-grade software (the kids are getting smart!)

Cheers,

Matthew Altheim
Executive Producer

Nordic Filmworks
http://www.NordicFilmworks.com
We are a film, tv, and video production company in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
Re: Switching from After Effects to Fusion?
on May 13, 2015 at 8:20:31 am

Hey Matthew,

If your studio have already brought into Adobe CC would it not be worth waiting for the upgrade announced at NAB?
Which in all fairness from your own statement seems to be fixing many of the issues that you had with the old version of AE.

[Matthew Altheim] "Fusion seems to be the best opportunity coming forward. With its $0 price tag, it has no real barrier to entry; not only that it has a well designed program, with new code (the architecture of the application is brilliantly fast), and it has native ways to use 3d models, in a quick manner."

It sounds like you have already sold yourself to Fusion. I am curious as to why you are not also looking at Flame, Quantel and/or Nuke? (to mention a few)

Bottom line: Do remember that the value of $0: Would most likely be $0 - as in that if you the user don't push the supplier to do better, and reward the supplier for doing so with investment in their software, then you might end up with nothing.

[Matthew Altheim] "Anyone here have their advice on what they have noticed between After Effects and Fusion? AE seems to me to be more of a consumer grade application, in a world that is wanting more and more pro-grade software (the kids are getting smart!)"

That is true, the kids will be gyrating towards the freemium software such as Fusion. Where as the adults, are most likely to use a professional integrated platform where the client(s) won't say: "You have no overheads, so why don't you work for free for us?".

Fusion is tried and tested, but at the rate of $0 it won't necessarily in the future have the same development team than that of a company that are spending North of $840 million/year on R&D (Adobe).

You have already for two years pushed Adobe to do better, so why jump now?

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid
http://mads-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.co.uk

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on May 13, 2015 at 9:14:01 am

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "Flame, Quantel"

These are neat. They also cost a metric shitton of money.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on May 13, 2015 at 9:46:06 am

Hey Tero,

[Tero Ahlfors] "These are neat. They also cost a metric shitton of money."

Yep, agree, but should not be discounted when looking for serious alternatives to AE, unless one is only looking at software that are free to use...

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on May 13, 2015 at 9:54:56 am

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "should not be discounted"

I'd hope I could get a discounted Flame. AE is 600 euros a year and Fusion is about thousand euros per seat. A single Flame is about 100K and Quantel is pretty much in the same ballpark. You need to do some serious work to break even with that.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on May 13, 2015 at 10:03:36 am

[Tero Ahlfors] "A single Flame is about 100K and Quantel is pretty much in the same ballpark. You need to do some serious work to break even with that"

That pretty much nails it, you need to have the work in order to maintain that kind of kit. The question is whether a single flame operator can out-perform 4-8 seats of AE (including cost of creative/operator)?

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Dec 23, 2015 at 12:31:12 am

Hey Matthew, did you end up switching to Fusion? The updates from Adobe have just gotten worse and worse for us.

Thanks,
John

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]