Creating a Procedural Stained Glass Effect Reminiscent of Photoshop's

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hayden Martin
Creating a Procedural Stained Glass Effect Reminiscent of Photoshop's
on May 11, 2015 at 2:24:26 am
Last Edited By Hayden Martin on May 11, 2015 at 2:27:06 am

Hi everyone

I have slow motion footage of a model against greenscreen that I need to turn into a piece animated moving stained glass...

At first I tried a bilateral blur, followed by a posterize effect, followed by a find edges effect to create the leading, but this looked scruffy and unnatural. It didnt even get me close to to colouring it...

What I really want, is a dynamic set of quadrilateral source pixel-tinted glass cells that fit procedurally into my chroma-keyed subject without popping too much as it moves - I do not mind if the cels become smaller towards the edges of the chroma-key as they try to fit in, but ideally I would like them to dynamically adjust and reshape as the outer edges move...

Essentially, what I'm using as a foundation here is the classic PS "stained glass" filter... I have no true understanding of how the photoshop filter works, but I assume it involves something along the lines of Delaunay tessellation...

I heard I could bath render it through PS but dont know how, and I'm also concerned that this would result in a random seed being generated for each frame's stained glass leading, meaning it's be a flickering mess - it needs to look continuos and natural

I know most of you would recommend rotoscoping on this occasion but I would love to automate it to an extent to save time!

Hope you can get your heads around this one

Best,
Hayden

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Creating a Procedural Stained Glass Effect Reminiscent of Photoshop's
on May 11, 2015 at 2:41:31 am

It sounds like you just need a background. You can make it in photoshop and just import it into AE. Assuming you have a good chroma key, it should be a snap.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Hayden Martin
on May 11, 2015 at 7:26:03 am

Hi Dave

I apologise if I didn't make this clear earlier

But it is the entire image that needs to become stained glass

I can make a background easily - it is the conversion of a moving character into smart moving cels reminiscent of PhotoShop's "Stained Glass" filter that I am struggling with

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 11, 2015 at 4:41:04 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 11, 2015 at 5:10:44 pm

So you need the chroma keyed subject to disappear. There are all sorts of ways to do that. What do you envision?

Here's a simple one that works well: animate multiple instances of AE's Simple Choker as you animate opacity. The edges of the subject will shrink in as the the subject becomes more transparent. You can also animate one of the many blurs in AE and add it to this.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on May 11, 2015 at 5:07:32 pm

First, pull the key and isolate your model.

Use the Cartoon effect to posterize the model and give her an outline (stained glass has metal pieces between panes). Adjust edges and posterization to your taste. Once it's posterized and outlined, you should be able to do color replacements on each "step" of the posterization, or just apply a Hue transform. Now you've got a colorized image with outlines that should generally animate consistently.

Next, use the CC Glass filter to create the specular highlights of the "glass" on the image. Adjust the depth and distortion to your taste. Finish it up with CC Light Rays to create a backlit translucent effect.

The effect order is crucial in this setup:
Cartoon > Hue/Saturation (or individual color transforms) > CC Glass > CC > Light Rays

Short of animating it by hand, this gets you pretty decent results.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on May 11, 2015 at 5:33:43 pm

Another way to get the "rays of light" effect is to do this:

After you've got your image all glassy and ready to go, duplicate that layer. Place an adjustment layer between them. On the adjustment layer, use the CC Light Burst effect, and increase the ray length to something like 180, and set the position of the effect so it matches the direction of the specular highlights on the glass. On the topmost layer, set your blending mode to "Screen." This lays the glassified image on top of the rays, preventing them from obliterating the image.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on May 11, 2015 at 7:03:52 pm

Finally, of course, you could just run the video through the PS filter and get exactly what you want:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/how-to/photoshop-apply-filters-clips.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]